Aftermarket Trailer Wiring Harness Blowing Fuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinMT

Reaction score
Back in May I installed a cheap trailer wiring harness onto my '97 ECSB (Hopkins brand, Tees into factory light connectors). After blowing my taillight fuse two nights in a row I suspected that it may be the culprit and pulled it. No problems since then. Other wiring looks intact as far as I traced it.

Any thought on why a relatively simple part failed so quickly? It did just get really cold and snowy here in Wyoming. Moisture problems?

Should I just spend more money on a better harness? Brand recommendations?

Thanks,
Justin

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Did the fuse blow without a trailer hooked up? Probably a stupid question, but just make sure you don't have a short on the trailer causing it.

Otherwise, I'd just hard wire the trailer harness in properly. If you drop your spare and check on the inside of the driver side frame you should find the pigtails to tap into for the lights.... Are you just using a 4-way plug? Or 6, 7-way?

JustinMT

Reaction score
Not a bad question- but correct, blown with no trailer. Good suggestion, I will just wire my four-way flat plug into the existing wire tails left for that purpose.