Aftermarket Radio help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, well good luck man, I'll ask around tomorrow don't know that any of the electrical guys were even out of highschool during this era of trucks though so no promises

Jay P

Reaction score
Update: I looked further into it. All my wiring on the harness was fine. I did have the right harness. Just to be safe I redid my ground and I still have the same problem. The fuse isn't blown. Even if I disconnect the radio all together I'm still having the same problem with the truck. I believe it's an actual issue with the truck itself and I'm not sure what to do. Might have to take it to a shop.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so you know that you have everything hooked up rite, but keep this in mind. Just because you are on the correct OE power supply wires(ect) there is no way to know what you have with out testing these wires, and grounds on the truck. Who knows what the original owner of the truck did to the wiring before you got it. This is why all of the supply wiring that has anything to do with the radio need to be tested.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't have a test light, they cost about $10 or so, and if you are not sure how to use one here is a good video to help you. I have been installing stereos in cars and trucks for a very long time. Back way back when, there was no install kit. You had to hard wire everything in. You had to figure out what wires did what, and where to hook up everything. It was a pain, but a grate learning experience.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you disconnect everything you installed with the new radio does the HVAC work again? Personally if it was me I would rewire everything for your radio brand new. Super easy, and you'll know that its done correctly. Then your radio will be dialed, and you can trace down the HVAC issue if you still have an issue after rewiring.

I agree with Kennythewelder, you don't know what the person before you did to that thing. Start fresh. Then you'll know its dialed.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What exactly does your ac do, anything out of the hvac controller? Doesn't engage blower at all? Only blows hot I'll pull all the schematics I can find on the hvac and let you check it out.

Hightower1

Reaction score
Was the factory harness for the stereo untouched when you started? If so you either have the wrong harness or you didn't do the coding right from the harness adaptor to the new stereo adaptor. No wires need to be cut to convert the stereo system from the 3 piece monstrosity to a normal one piece head unit. If you are having problems with the HVAC now, I would start at the source and check the connections on the HVAC control unit.

A wire could have been pulled loose when you were removing the old stereos control head unit since you have to partially pull out the H
VAC controls to remove the head unit. Everything you need to make your stereo work properly is in the 3 cable connectors clustered together in the stereo amp under the dash. all you need to do is connect your new stereos pigtail to the aftermarket harness adapter and then plug those 3 connectors from the old amp into the new single harness adapter, it's that easy.

The proper harness adaptor will have the wire coding on it and you just match it up to the wire coding to your new stereo's owners manual (some wires may not be used).

These are the 3 cables that came out of the power amp/brain of the factory stereo found under the dash on the drivers side. These are the 3 you want to plug into your new harness adaptor.
You must be registered for see images attach