Aftermarket all metal door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about buying genuine GM handles as the are so superior yet if they were so good we wouldn't be replacing them in the first place. Been doing auto body repair for over 40 years and these trucks and 90's Camrys are the only vehicles I see with broken handles on a regular basis. I suppose the real problem is actually the fact that doors have hinge pin wear making the doors harder to operate in the first place.

I've never seen a factory handle that broke under normal use on these trucks, however I have had to replace more than one on my Suburban that a thief busted out with a pry bar. Not really any fault of the parts.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
So I have a few ideas/suggestions.

First, and yes I know they're pricey, but I'm planning on ordering these for my truck one of these days:
https://www.kindigitapparel.com/col...oducts/bar-straight-style-by-kindig-it-design

I think they look awesome, really clean appearance, and they would be stout. Besides, our factory handles may not be plastic, but they're still pot metal. They warp and bend and look like crap no matter how well you try to take care of them.

Second, and this may be a crazy idea, but it's just something I was thinking about the other day. The newer trucks don't seem to have issues with their door hinge pins, right? Would it be possible to cut the hinge assemblies off a newer GM truck and weld them in place of ours? Obviously you would have to use all their pins and stuff, but it seems like it might be something to explore a bit more. I haven't done much research on this, just crossed my mind the other day.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newer trucks don't have hinge pin problems because they have newer hinge pins. No need to replace the whole hinge with a newer style, just replace the pin, rollers, and spring. And if your hinges have been sagging for a long time, you will likely need a new latch and striker as well.
This is just the reality of owning a 20-30 year old truck. Things wear out.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Idk, maybe you're right. Just seems like I hear about guys with these trucks dealing with the hinge pins all the time. My dad's 2004 Tahoe hasn't had any issues at all. I know it's 9 years newer, but I know we've had to do the hinge pins more than once. Like I said, maybe you're right, I haven't taken a close look at them, just seems like they don't tend to have the issues as much.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how I see it.... These trucks have bad reputations for all kinds of things. LIM gasket failure, weak IFS, t-case pump failure, broken door handles, busted dizzy housings, melted HVAC wires, wonky fuel spider, etc, etc. And yet, in my area, I see waaaay more GMT400 platform rigs on the road than any other vehicle from the 80's-90's. They outnumber 90's Ram and F-Series by 10-1, easily. If These things were so bad, why are there so many of them still on the road? So while I agree that GM could have engineered some things better, I still think the main reason why some of these problems are so well known is just because the trucks lived long enough to wear these parts out in the first place.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posted this in the other thread where you asked about them, but here's the OEM part numbers and links to them on GM Parts Direct.

ACDelco Part #'s 15742230 (Right) and 15742229 (Left).

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevro...scat/?part_name=handle-outside&position=right

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevro...-scat/?part_name=handle-outside&position=left

EDIT - Also just FYI if the outside handles on your truck are plastic, they're not factory. GM never used plastic handles on these trucks. At least not the standard handles. Never seen a set of Kodiak handles in person.

I always go there first! gmpartsdirect.com is a great site, and good prices, too.