Aftermarket all metal door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my stock door handles on my '99 classic silverado were plastic and all bunged up. I decided to purchase a new set of all metal to reduce chance of cracking and breaking further down the road.
Ended up paying about $60 CND and I just want to warn anyone looking for metal handles to * NOT BUY OFF EBAY*

I got the new handles in and of course the socket that the lock mechanism is supposed to fit into is upside down. So I am guessing the seller has a special lock cylinder he wants to try selling along with the new handles that will actually fit well.

I am pretty upset about this, guess I will have to just go back to ****** ass plastic ones since they are actually made correctly and more than likely the stock lock cylinder will fit snugly into them.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Kodiac handles have the lock cylinders upside down also. 10 minutes with a cutoff wheel and mig welder fixed it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Posted this in the other thread where you asked about them, but here's the OEM part numbers and links to them on GM Parts Direct.

ACDelco Part #'s 15742230 (Right) and 15742229 (Left).

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevro...scat/?part_name=handle-outside&position=right

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevro...-scat/?part_name=handle-outside&position=left

EDIT - Also just FYI if the outside handles on your truck are plastic, they're not factory. GM never used plastic handles on these trucks. At least not the standard handles. Never seen a set of Kodiak handles in person.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up taking the small tag off the back of each lock cylinder and flipping it (this way it was not obstructing the handle from bolting back in on the side of the door, where as it was before when I tried simply putting it in the new handle right out of the "stock" handle)
Have yet to decide if its a pain in the ass to turn the key with more force and in different directions to lock/unlock manually. This isn't my DD and it is in the shop where it will stay for a few months yet anyhow.

I also forgot that I have a key fob with remote lock/unlock.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although for some reason my locking buttons don't work on either of my doors. Kind of sucks

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about buying genuine GM handles as the are so superior yet if they were so good we wouldn't be replacing them in the first place. Been doing auto body repair for over 40 years and these trucks and 90's Camrys are the only vehicles I see with broken handles on a regular basis. I suppose the real problem is actually the fact that doors have hinge pin wear making the doors harder to operate in the first place.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if those are the only broken door handles you have seen, then you've never worked on a 90's F-Series.
Like you said, it's not the handles, it's the hinge pins.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about buying genuine GM handles as the are so superior yet if they were so good we wouldn't be replacing them in the first place. Been doing auto body repair for over 40 years and these trucks and 90's Camrys are the only vehicles I see with broken handles on a regular basis. I suppose the real problem is actually the fact that doors have hinge pin wear making the doors harder to operate in the first place.

Yes, the pins are primarily the problem which causes broken handles, both interior and exterior handles. When someone says they have pin problems, it's time to examine the striker and latch as well for the door(s) in question.

The aftermarket outside handles fit like crap compared to the OE units.