ADVICE: FLUSHING OUT "OIL SENDING SWITCH" PASSAGE. 92' 350V8 TBI 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm asking if it was TDC on the compression stroke for #1, or the exhaust stroke.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Well I'm positive that I stopped my oil leak. Unfortunately I can't get my timing right though, how does one go about setting timing on an engine that won't start? I aligned the crank Mark to top dead center and dropped the distributor in ,pointing towards the first cylinder but it's backfiring now...

Where the distributor is pointing really doesn't matter. make sure you are top dead compression on cylinder 1. Now drop your distributor in(if you want it facing 1 that's fine). The important part is lining up the post on the cap with the rotor. The post that lines up with your rotor is where you #1 spark wire goes. the just follow the sequence to put the rest of the wire on.
You must be registered for see images

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
The largest V slot that is driver side crankshaft pulley looking from the hood down.

Remove a valve cover and look at the valves of #1. If the intake valve is up the engine needs to be rotated 360 to be on the TDC compression .

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove a valve cover and look at the valves of #1. If the intake valve is up the engine needs to be rotated 360 to be on the TDC compression .
Is the valve closest to front of engine the intake, aren't there 2 valves per cylinder?

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where the distributor is pointing really doesn't matter. make sure you are top dead compression on cylinder 1. Now drop your distributor in(if you want it facing 1 that's fine). The important part is lining up the post on the cap with the rotor. The post that lines up with your rotor is where you #1 spark wire goes. the just follow the sequence to put the rest of the wire on.
You must be registered for see images
If you notice distributor cap number 1 wire is the same axis as the number one cylinder. So the rotor was underneath one

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
here is a pic of the cap and rotor.

You must be registered for see images attach

There is a contact on one end of the rotor that will touch one post at a time. Pop the cap off and see where it is located under the cap and make adjustments accordingly. Also the is a slot ate the bottom of the distributor. That slot needs need to line up with the groove in the oil pump or it wont seat all the way. If it isn't lining up get a long flat head screw driver and put it down the hole for the dizzy and turn the pump a little. If you shine a light down you will see what im taking about.