Adray's 1999 Z28

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
love it man! I'm a huge F-body guy as well. mines all tore apart right now. I spent all my bird money on my Dually and trailer and now every dime I get has been upgrading the dually... i'll get back into my bird in a bit. right now it's down to a roller. it's a 95 firebird formula but I have the a brand new LS2 bare block i'm building for her. sold the lt1 and t56 to get it.

I plan on putting all UMI stuff into it to lighten it up some. they have amazing products.

are you a member of LS1tech? great forum for our cars

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you! I've loved F-bodies, especially 4th gens, since I was a toddler. This is my third one, haha. I had a 95 Dark Yellow Green Metallic Z28 before this one, but someone hit me and totaled it. Your car sounds like it'll be a blast! I am a member on LS1TECH, they are very helpful over there, haha

I finally got my control arms on today, meaning the rear suspension is finished up for now, and the car is back on the ground. I'll be taking it for a spin in a little bit, but it's supposed to rain today, so it'll be a short one.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally picked up some headers for the car, the other day. They are a used set of Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tubes, that were on a LS swapped G body, which is why they're dented up. I save a few hundred bucks, so I'm okay with that. I bought new gaskets for them today, I plan on buying O2 extensions and ARP header bolts next week, and then I'd like to do motor mounts while I have the manifolds off, so I'll get those the following week. It's going to be a little while before I get them on, but I'm still excited for them. I'll be going with a true dual exhaust set up, after I get them on.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I watched a video on Motor Trend, (engine Masters) where they dent the living **** out of headers and it made very little difference. Nice find.

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
If you're looking to save money, I would recommend keeping the stock exhaust, just get an offroad Y with an electric cutout. That's what I had on my '98 Z and I loved it. Quiet when you want it, or loud as hell with the flip of a switch. It sounded great and made more power than your typical true dual setup.

Nice car :cheers:

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't made much progress, I have the headers, motor mounts, hardware, and gaskets and stuff, I just need the rest of the exhaust before I do all of that, but my union is on strike, so I've been trying to be careful with my money until all is said and done. That being said...

I bought a set of 243 heads, with rockers and valve covers today.

I'll start rebuilding them with new lifters, springs, and pushrods when I have more of an income. At this point, I'll probably just wait until I have an LS6 intake and a cam to do the headers and exhaust along with it, we'll see.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What'd those 243s come off of? I don't see yellow springs so I'd be inclined to just slap them on and go. Same with the headers, just get an off road y and slam it all on there or you'll never have the money to mess with all the piddly crap that doesn't matter. That said, the valve stems are longer on LS6 243s I believe to use LS1 pushrods on the higher lift Z06 cam.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to get them cleaned up, machines, and rebuild them for the experience, and to just feel a little better about them. They're off an 08 LS4, is there much of a difference between those and LS6 243s?

As for parts, I work at a GM dealer, so once the strike lets up, I plan on getting gaskets, LS7 lifters, and lifter trays from them, just to have new parts, and to try and save a buck or two. I'll be doing after market push rods, stronger springs, and a Speed Inc cam. The only things I plan on leaving are the rockers, which I'll do the reunion upgrade to.

As excited as I am to have these parts, I daily drove it for two and a half years, and I have a new daily now, so I can finally build it, I'm in no rush to get everything in. I'm probably about done driving it for the season, as I have some rear end noise, so I'm going to start saving for a Fab 9, for next