Adray's 1999 Z28

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
might look at 1 3/4" headers instead of the 1 7/8". ls1's don't really need that big of a header. i run 1 3/4" mid-lengths on my cammed 6.0l and it's not holding it back any, still puts down over 425rwhp. and instead of dumping money into the ls6 intake, sell it and buy a fast 92. you'll probably end up with less money spend and have a better intake that will grow with you.

To be honest, I never really knew the difference between the different header sizes. Everything I saw about the differences was that the bigger headers provided more torque in the higher RPM range. Reading through different threads it seems like people mainly recommended the 1 7/8. I'll look more into the headers, and I may contact TSP before I make the purchase.

What do you mean about dumping money into the LS6 intake? I was going get one to keep the price down, and all of the FAST intakes I looked at were about 3 times the price of what LS6 intakes were going for.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
What do you mean about dumping money into the LS6 intake? I was going get one to keep the price down, and all of the FAST intakes I looked at were about 3 times the price of what LS6 intakes were going for.

in you initial post, you spoke about "port and polish LS6 intake" i'm guessing you meant port match the intake. by the time you put the money into that, you would have been better off starting out with a better intake like the fast 92. a good ls6 intake with injectors and throttle body will cost you well over $425+. then add in a quality port match job, and you'll be knocking on the door of $700 pretty quick.

you need to sit down and decide where you want the power range to be in this car. then match the heads/cam/intake package to match that.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in you initial post, you spoke about "port and polish LS6 intake" i'm guessing you meant port match the intake. by the time you put the money into that, you would have been better off starting out with a better intake like the fast 92. a good ls6 intake with injectors and throttle body will cost you well over $425+. then add in a quality port match job, and you'll be knocking on the door of $700 pretty quick.

you need to sit down and decide where you want the power range to be in this car. then match the heads/cam/intake package to match that.

I guess I didn't think of it in that sense, thank you for pointing that out. I knew the port and polishing would be pricey, but I didn't put the numbers together like that. For power numbers, I think I'd be content with the 400-450hp range. I've never raced a car before, so I want to work my way up the power range as opposed to buying a track ready car, or just deciding to add boost and have a high horsepower car that I can't handle.

As I mentioned earlier, my income is the greatest at the moment, I'm trying to work something out to fix that. That being said, I think the GM parts will be my best bet for my power goals while keeping the price down. The Speed Inc. SI5 cam I mentioned is advertised to boost the horsepower to 400 with "supporting mods." It doesn't specify what those mods are, I'm guessing full exhaust, at least an intake, maybe heads, so I'm guessing the car will be in the low 400hp power range with my current plans, maybe the 415-430 horsepower range with some optimism. I may skip the port and polishing, I think I may have gotten too carried away with that part. As you mentioned, it will be pricey, and probably won't be as worth it with the GM parts.

I'm more focused on suspension at this point, so until I finish that up, I'll have time to think more about the go fast parts I want to add.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I was going to order sway bars this week, but since they won't be installed for a while, I decided to wait until Labor Day to see if UMI has a sale.

I did install my 6LE grille insert today, though. I'm happy with the way it looks, but I think it'll look a lot nicer when I install my new headlights. Don't know when that will happen, though. Hopefully soon.
You must be registered for see images

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
you can restore those headlights to look like new, theres a bunch of ways to do it.

this is the cheapest and easiest way ive seen it done

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

but ive also seen people spray clear coat for plastics that have UV protection after they get the headlights cleared up for a longer lasting finish

Last edited:

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set of Blackbird Lighting Solution headlights that are going on. They weren't cheap, so I'm waiting until I have an extra buck to get a protective film to put on them. Plus, I've never installed HIDs before, so I need to look into how to do that, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk