Adding AUX Input to OBS Stock Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
How do you do this to the tape deck? I want to add it to mine. I had the external cd player and removed it because it didn't work.

how about a write up on this?

I've done both mods, like I said in a previous post I don't have the desire to take my stereo back apart at the moment. There should be some info on how to modify the tape deck on other forums.

Sent from TBI 454 HTC Droid DNA

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I did it to the tape deck model that I installed in my trailer. They are setup differently as the radio tuner is separate from the amp part. I probed the connector with a headphone lead and it was a similar to this mod, except you don't need to do anythign but plug the AUX line in.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures or notes of it when I did it. Tons of people asked me already... I really don't feel like pulling my stereo apart again unfortunately.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the tape deck like I have below or the tape deck that looks similar to the model in the OP?

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Here's a pro tip if you're splicing into a cd player HU: don't shove a blank cd into the player to enjoy your aux input music or you'll hear a 1 second pause EVERY 68 seconds. Don't know why, just saying.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years back my stock radio stopped working on my 93 GMC so I replaced the radio where the EQ was so what im getting to if anyone wants it just pay shipping and it's yours oh I left the stock radio were it was for the reason my truck came with wood trim that covers it so I just have the cassette with EQ and I think it's the stock Amp.

schmuzz99

Reaction score
Years back my stock radio stopped working on my 93 GMC so I replaced the radio where the EQ was so what im getting to if anyone wants it just pay shipping and it's yours oh I left the stock radio were it was for the reason my truck came with wood trim that covers it so I just have the cassette with EQ and I think it's the stock Amp.

I see this was a while ago, but do you still have it?

Seaurchin1969

Reaction score
I just finished a AUX input to my radio, except instead of an external audio jack, I installed a blue tooth receiver. I eliminated my tape player, and installed a small switch in the tape deck door to switch between radio audio and BT audio. A couple of youtube videos were very helpful. The second video has pics of the parts he used on Amazon. Please note also I didn't need to remove the face plate to do my mod.

The only issue I can think of, is the BT receiver gets it power from the ignition power pin inside the radio, so it turns on when you start the truck, and will automatically pair with your phone, and your phone will show you hooked up to head phones. So if you have your audio switched to the radio instead of BT, you wont hear your phone ring or any other audio notifications from you phone while it paired to your stereo. Another switch could be added to switch the power to the BT receiver, or you could just un pair your phone, if that becomes an issue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Tim Muckey

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Johnathan Rader

This is the bluetooth receiver I installed, the power leads run to the opposite side of the amp board, and are soldered to the ignition + and ground pins. The receiver is hot glued to the radio cover on the tape deck side.

This is the switch i installed I hot glued the tape door closed, and drilled a hole for the switch, and hot glued the switch to the back of the door.

This is the finished product.

Last edited: