Added A Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only tow about twice a month pulling an 18' tandem utility trailer with a large zero turn mower which isn't alot of weight but I wanted my trailer brakes to work just in case. The wiring of the controller was very easy and staright forward until I needed to hook up the red wire with the funny connector spade on it. The instructions stated to hook it to the "cold side" of the truck brakes. I searched here and found a post where a member mentioned tapping into a white wire under the dash to the right of the main wiring harness. I found a white wire in that location but no go when I applied the brake pedal. I decided to test a few open terminals in the relay box in back of the parking brake and found just what I needed. The terminal was cold and hot when the brake was applied and the wire terminal clipped right onto it.

I wanted to share this information and included a picture for anyone whos wanting to add a controller, it's easier to locate that terminal and plug it in then to track down a wire under there and tie into it. (This is on a 1998 Silverado)

You must be registered for see images attach

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

This is the way I do it, but never thought of taking pics of it.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

This is the way I do it, but never thought of taking pics of it.

I usually forget to take the crucial pics when I'm doing a project because I get to busy and involved in it lol. I figured I'd just snap of few on this little project in case it might help someone out. I enjoy reading all the great info on here but who doesn't love pics :).

Reaction score
The wire they are referring to comes right off the brake pedal switch. Believe it or not its an easy one to access with all the other things packed under there.

Smart move adding a brake controller no matter how many times you use it. Take the added wear and tear off your truck. Not to mention safety.

Last edited:

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wire they are referring to comes right off the brake pedal switch. Believe it or not its an easy one to access with all the other things packed under there.

Smart move adding a brake controller no matter how many times you use it. Take the added wear and tear off your truck. Not to mention safety.

I looked for the brake pedal switch and it was way up underneath there with a bunch of stuff in the way. The fuse box was right there in front of my nose and even had the open port that worked, got lucky.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
i went to my pedal, but i am thinking about running all new wiring. And is this the box on the firewall? Because i don't recall seeing a box like this in my 98

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went to my pedal, but i am thinking about running all new wiring. And is this the box on the firewall? Because i don't recall seeing a box like this in my 98

Inside on drivers side of firewall behind parking brake

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Good deal. I may use that one then. Because i think mine is hooked up to the switch and i just don't think it's a good spot.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I have one but when I try to use it the light quit working. Any ideas what could be wrong or where to start?