Adam's 1996 K1500 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 1996 Z71, extended cab, short bed for a new daily driver. I have grown up with my dad's 1994 step side silverado, I believe that's why I love these trucks so much. My truck has 260,000 miles, and as far as I know it's also been a northern truck, so it's a little rough. That being said, I want this truck to get me through the winter, and to have something to drive while I'm working on my car, so it'll perfect for what I want it for.

I don't have too many big ideas for it at the moment, I've been toying with the idea of LS swapping it (5.3 or 6.0) with a 4L80 trans, but that will be waaaaaaaay down the line, if it happens. Other than that, I plan to give it a bit of a tune up (plug, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, brakes), I'd also like to try my hand at body work, rust repair, and painting with this truck. Another thing I'd like to do is to bedline the front and rear bumper, the grille, and from the side molding down, on the sides of the truck. I'm 100% sure on bedlining the grille, but I saw a 2015 Silverado with the grille bed lined and it looked pretty good, so I'll be looking more into that.

I really like the color, I'm a sucker for green, so I just wanted to ask: The name of the color is Emerald Green Metallic, isn't it?

You must be registered for see images attach

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, the only update I have about the truck is in another thread I started about a coolant issue I'm having, but I wanted some opinions on something.

I'd like to eventually get some whether tech mats for my truck, but I don't know what color I should get. I have a tan interior, but the previous owner painted some of the interior panels a dark gray with some green paint splashed on (I think it's kind of cool, some of you may thinks it's tacky, haha). So, I'm torn between getting the tan mats to match the carpet and the rest of my interior, or gray/black to match the painted parts.

I'm leaning towards the darker color to offset the tan, but I'm a bit worried about the gray mats not matching the painted panels. What do you all think?

Pics for reference:

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Well I already know you're a fellow Illinoisan lol I've seen this truck for sale on clist and Facebook many times, hopefully you take better care of it!

Sent from my powered iPhone

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, I know it was one there last winter. I wanted it then, but didn't have the room for it, still don't, really. That should change soon, though. I was kind of sad when they took it off, because I though it was sold, so when they posted it again, I decided to go look at it.

Originally, I didn't have too much planned for the truck, I was going to leave it mostly as is so I could focus on building my car, but since having it, and looking through some builds on here, I have quite the list for it when I get it drivable again, haha. I plan on trying to fix some of the rust and paint when I can, though. It really isn't in too terrible of shape for its age or mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be missing something here, but it appears your interior is gray, not tan.

Neat ruck though, good luck with your build! Keep us updated!

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The carpet looks tan to me, although, I haven't seen all of the different interiors these trucks had, just this one, and the blue interior of my dad's 94. Maybe it's just really dirty, haha. I went out side and looked at the interior, I haven't been driving it lately, and it does look more gray to me now, not sure what I was thinking, haha. When the time comes, I'll probably go with the gray mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk