AD 244 voltage output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have swapped in an AD244 alternator from a Denali Envoy that I picked up at salvage almost a year ago, and it replaced the wimpy 105 amp stocker. It is the 145 amp version, and I am not sure if I have an issue or not. My aftermarket voltage gauge says 14.5 on a cold start my information is taken directly from the charge post. My mechanic friend says I should be between 12.8-13.5, but is he right? If so let’s skip to the fix.

There’s not much of a drop in voltage with everything on, lights drop it to 14.2, efan and lights maybe 13.8, but the real question is why am I on my third battery since 1/3/18? They are autozone duralast gold 800/1000 typical side post battery.

My alternator is a two wire plug, utilizing the excite wire (red) that matched my single wire original setup. The tan wire I’m not using, but should I be?

I would much rather hear I’ve just hit a bad batch of batteries, but if I am overcharging my battery, then point me in the right direction, and let me know how to fix my screw up.

The main reason why I chose this alternator is because the new stock alternator wasn’t keeping up with my load demands having extra lights, electric fans stereo amplifier etc.

Thanks in advance.

For knowledge purposes, it’s a 94 Z71 very healthy small block with a five speed. I have only one battery.

Last edited:

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm I have the ad244 and dual battery setup with a stinger solenoid and with group 78 duralast gold batteries and my gauge show the same, haven’t burnt up any batteries either. That being said, could be bad batteries, or how do you have your batteries setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Hmmm I have the ad244 and dual battery setup with a stinger solenoid and with group 78 duralast gold batteries and my gauge show the same, haven’t burnt up any batteries either. That being said, could be bad batteries, or how do you have your batteries setup?

I only have one battery. I have upgraded my grounds and my charge cable from alt to battery. Did you use the second wire on your alternator?

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t remember right off the bat, give me about an hour and I’ll check for you

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I upgraded all my wiring as well, I’m running 0 gauge ground and power cables

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I upgraded all my wiring as well, I’m running 0 gauge ground and power cables

Mine aren’t zero gauge but somewhere between four to eight gauge. I bought off the shelf items, and was watching cost at the time.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at mine and I’m hooked into the brown wire, hope that helps

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Ok I did the redneck test, and unplugged the alternator plug with the engine running, and my gauge read 12.3 then plugged it back in gauge read 14.3, so we can rule out is it hooked up correctly.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Did you check the voltage at the battery itself? I added the blue sense wire to the battery distribution block and verified my voltage at the battery was 14.4

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Did you check the voltage at the battery itself? I added the blue sense wire to the battery distribution block and verified my voltage at the battery was 14.4

I drove the truck today to the auto parts store (20 miles) so the warm temperature voltage was 13.2 and dropping, so I went ahead and bought a brand new AD 244 and put it on.

After installation, my gauge read 14.2 (alternator cold temp reading), and then I put a load on it to see what kind of drop I could create, so I switched on my air conditioner which activates my electric fans, and got a drop to 13.8 volts. I turned those items off and checked voltage at the battery and it read 14.2 volts.