AC Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoroughly convinced my problem is electrical. Started the truck up today and the ac cooled down almost instantly. 45f vent temps going down the road. It was glorious. Then it was warm after about 10 minutes.
The cycling switch on the accumulator is bad about going out. I had several go on my Express van to the point I kept a spare in the glovebox. I swapped that switch and connector back to the older adjustable style and have not had an issue since. From GM the accumulator has a shrader valve in it where it threads on and refrigerant loss is minimal changing it out.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the low pressure switch. Working way better now. The compressor actually kicks on as soon as you turn the ac on. It's cooling pretty well, and the evap isn't freezing up anymore. The pressures are ok, but still sorta low, and the compressor runs pretty much constantly. I can't get it to take any more refrigerant. Maybe the can is empty. Feels pretty light.
My blower fan seems pretty weak to me too. Doesn't move hardly any air. I'll test the voltage at the plug. Anyone know what it's supposed to be?

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it worked good for a day or two. Now it’s acting like all the refrigerant leaked out, and it’s 90 degrees and humid in East Tennessee.
Are all 400s this big of pieces of ****?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year do you have... I use tapatalk so if it's in your sig, I can not see it. Tapatalk doesn't show sigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year do you have... I use tapatalk so if it's in your sig, I can not see it. Tapatalk doesn't show sigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

His sig says it's a '97 K1500 Yukon.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! Just happened to be browsing through on a PC right as you posted that.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not that it’s a priority now, but have you cleaned the evaporator core? Debris can block it, reducing air flow to the vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that it’s a priority now, but have you cleaned the evaporator core? Debris can block it, reducing air flow to the vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I replaced the blower motor/fan with a jy unit last year and I cleaned it out then. Wasn’t a whole lot in there anyway. I’ve read that the actuators that control the doors that direct the air out of the selected vents can wear out so the air is just blowing out of whichevervbent instead of just blowing out of one set. I think that’s whats going on. A little bit of air comes out of the floor and defrost vents with the dash vents selected. The blower fan sounds like it’s moving a lot but it isn’t channeled so it feels weak.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found my leak.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think it's the only one. I checked everything I could get to.
Is there a way to replace it without venting the system? I didn't think so but I read something about some fancy little tool that ac shops use. Still don't really get how that'd work though.