Abs brake bleed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brakes have been awful for about 2 years now. I changed the booster, master cylinder and even swapped the abs module to a spare that I had. I don’t know a lot about this abs stuff (besides it’s junk) but I believe I have a hydraulic unit because there is only 2 lines that come out of the MC and go to the abs unit. Could my abs module be bad? My parking brake light stays on all the time and I replaced the switch for it but it never turned off. Also the abs light on my dash has never came on. Thanks for the help!
WHAT VEHICLE??? WHAT BRAKE OPTION CODE? (JB5???)

ABS is not "junk". It's just not easy to bleed properly. The leading/trailing shoe rear brakes are "junk".

Of course your ABS is a "hydraulic unit".

If this is a '94 K1500 as your user name suggests, you've got the EBC4 controller, and the horrible 254mm (10-inch) Leading/Trailing shoe drums in back. Are you CERTAIN that the master is properly bled? If it's tilted "up" in front, there's a fair chance you've got a bubble of air at the high point that will never bleed out until you remove the master from the booster, (don't remove the brake tubes) tip the front "down", and tickle the primary piston with a wood dowel or Philips screwdriver. You'd then see air bubbles coming up from the master cylinder into the attached reservoir if there was air in the cylinder.

1. Pull the drums off, adjust the brakes. Make sure the park brake cable isn't overly-tight, first. Then adjust the service brakes. Adjust the park brake, if needed, AFTER the service brakes are correct. Start using your park brake every time you shut off the engine.

2. Follow the service procedure .pdf I posted earlier for bleeding the EBC4 controller. You're gonna need a gallon of fluid, a scan tool, and three "special tools". Some guys cheat, and use the "Youtube" process: after opening the bleed valves, they have a helper step on the brake pedal while they remove the rubber cover and then poke the tiny valve that sticks out. Apparently this works for the EBC4; I couldn't get it to work for the EBC310. Others stab the brake pedal on gravel to exercise the ABS; and then bleed at the wheels. Again, if you don't activate ALL THREE ABS CHANNELS you're potentially leaving air in the ABS unit.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought an Innova 5610 ($329 on Amazon) and it has the ABS bleed feature. Have not used the feature yet but I checked and its there.

When I bought my two door the brakes were all in need of replacement. The master cylinder, calipers and wheel cylinders were all replaced. The whole system was manually bled one corner at a time. Not sure what I did right or wrong but I never had to bleed the ABS. Years later, everything is still working. No lights and the ABS is working fine. Lucky I guess.