ABS activating when not needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
My 1996 k1500 5.7/nv3500 reg cab. Had all ABS sensors replaced not to long ago. Now whenever I am braking at least every other time the abs engages either during, before or by itself when braking. These are non panic stops. Sometimes I can hear it engaging without me even braking.

Anyone know what can cause this?

Do not have money to go to mechanic, I'd like to fix this myself if possible.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new ABS module. They are Mega expensive if found new or remanufactured. You need to find one in a junkyard on a model year 96 or 97 that still has master cylinder attached and all tubes and all full of fluid still. When these things get drained, sometimes they are impossible to bleed again 100% without a scan tool.

When I was after replacing mine I snipped tubes leaving abs module (going to wheels) with set of side cutters that pinched them closed at same time, and just bought the master cylinder and tubes between them as insurance.

A reverse brake bleeder, and a helper was necessary to keep air from ever hitting the inside of module. From what I was finding in my own research, I didn't want to mess up my junkyard 'new to me' and hopefully operational abs module so I took every effort and was successful.

Just dawned on me writing this out:
You can unplug it for confirming the module is your issue. It will throw red ABS indicator light on dash, but it won't keep the vehicle from driving. Obviously this will entirely disable your ABS system, do so at your own risk and with caution.

Are you by chance in the southeast?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new ABS module. They are Mega expensive if found new or remanufactured. You need to find one in a junkyard on a model year 96 or 97 that still has master cylinder attached and all tubes and all full of fluid still. When these things get drained, sometimes they are impossible to bleed again 100% without a scan tool.

When I was after replacing mine I snipped tubes leaving abs module (going to wheels) with set of side cutters that pinched them closed at same time, and just bought the master cylinder and tubes between them as insurance.

A reverse brake bleeder, and a helper was necessary to keep air from ever hitting the inside of module. From what I was finding in my own research, I didn't want to mess up my junkyard 'new to me' and hopefully operational abs module so I took every effort and was successful.

Just dawned on me writing this out:
You can unplug it for confirming the module is your issue. It will throw red ABS indicator light on dash, but it won't keep the vehicle from driving. Obviously this will entirely disable your ABS system, do so at your own risk and with caution.

Are you by chance in the southeast?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I am in the southeast

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Not sure I can afford something this expensive rn I am supposed to go to college in the fall:/

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
try pulling the abs fuse if you don't drive in snow you won't miss abs
Yeah but then I'll get the light in the dash, no?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
yeah, just pop out your cluster and pull the ABS and BRAKE light bulbs, thats what I do on all of my trucks.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Gonna take truck to my mechanic tomorrow try and get it done. I've put a lot of money in this truck lately between all abs sensors, fuel pump and cap and rotor.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna take truck to my mechanic tomorrow try and get it done. I've put a lot of money in this truck lately between all abs sensors, fuel pump and cap and rotor.

Why continue on this spending spree when fuse removal will solve your problem?