A little more advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
its not stupid on gms part at all 3.42s are just not meant for towing, different setups is all, gotta do your homework and know what you need for what youd like to do

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
its not stupid on gms part at all 3.42s are just not meant for towing, different setups is all, gotta do your homework and know what you need for what youd like to do

Exactly. A tall geared 1/2 ton isn't made for regular towing. If you don't care about smiles per gallon and want to maximize highway fuel economy with two dirt bikes on that back, it makes sense. If you want to tow a travel trailer a few times a month, a 3/4 ton or at least lower gears is what you'd want. Different setups excel in different areas.

bob_pfister

Reaction score
I am going to throw out one more suggestion here. Have you made sure that your trailer brakes are not dragging and that your trailer axles are not bent? I have seen more than one trailer that pulls like its on runners instead of wheels because the axles were not square -- even a single axle trailer will pull hard if the axle is bent or out of alignment. Most times your tires will tell you the story -- look for odd wear on the outside edges.

If your trailer/truck wiring is not right you could be applying brakes to the trailer without any operator input and that would turn your trailer into a sled too. We loaned a trailer to someone one time who did not have his brakes wired like ours and he ruined some tires really quick

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I already suggested a bent axle, I have seen that myself on a brand new trailer driven off the lot. Trailer brakes being on was also suggested. Broken center bolt as well can cause dog tracking and drag hard.

bob_pfister

Reaction score
I already suggested a bent axle, I have seen that myself on a brand new trailer driven off the lot. Trailer brakes being on was also suggested. Broken center bolt as well can cause dog tracking and drag hard.

Sorry I missed those when I originally read the posts -- when I get the egg off my face I will scroll back through them!!

likestrucks

Reaction score
I recently pulled at 24 foot enclosed car hauler to move. I ran it across the scale and the trailer weighed in at 7500 pounds. I have a 98 ecsb 4x4 with a 5.7, no cats, and a westers garage tune, 245's and 3.73's. I was pulling on highway 2 between Lethbridge and Calgary in Alberta, elevation is about 3500 feet. It pulled it like a champ, kept it in third, it was thirsty but it had no problem pulling it. I tried to stay around 100km/h(60mph) to be safe(windy around these parts) and to be easy on the truck, but when i wasnt paying attention I would get up over 110. The 3 main differences between mine and yours are the tires, gears, and cats, not sure if thats enough to make a difference, or if there is someting else at play.