A little more advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
its like he pulls this stuff out of his ass but its true, hey hes a smart ass! =) no but if theres anyone who can give you way more info than you ever thought possible itd be that guy up there^

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Great white has forgot more then I could ever hope to know, with that being said, I have deffinatly overloaded my truck on more occasions then I can count on both hands. These trucks are reliable and they'll do whatever you need them to, if you have enough patience. Overheating was the death of my trans and It was not cheap, so if your gonna do haul like you've explained gears, trans cooler, and temp guage will be the best investment you'll ever make.
And greatwhite, I probably put the floor on you travel trailer lol. That job sucked, and yea the only ones in the whole rv industry that know anything is the people who put them together.

Sent from the toilet at work

97ttpuller

Reaction score
Well , I may have found a "Plan B" would a 96 with a 6.5 Diesel be a better tow rig than what I have now? I've heard the 6.5's where decent on fuel economy but where "Light Duty" for a tow engine.

The way it sits right now my 97 has, severe duty clutch fan, HD radiator, aftermarket trans cooler, class IV hitch, electric brake controller, and all new radiator hoses.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well , I may have found a "Plan B" would a 96 with a 6.5 Diesel be a better tow rig than what I have now? I've heard the 6.5's where decent on fuel economy but where "Light Duty" for a tow engine.

The way it sits right now my 97 has, severe duty clutch fan, HD radiator, aftermarket trans cooler, class IV hitch, electric brake controller, and all new radiator hoses.
No...

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Plan B will likely 'break' you... as in broke. 6.5's aren't for most people. Yes, they can be made to be reliable, but they have their issues.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you want a speal on 6.5's someone call great white back, or start looking through his threads the man can write pages.

they arent cheap, id fix your truck for what you need or sell it and buy a different one?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's just say Great White probably knows more about the 6.5 than the people who designed it. He knows all the faults of those engines. They are not the best diesel out there. I would not recommend selling your truck for one. If you sell your truck get a newer diesel

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
GW is the expert on 6.5s and even he says he wouldn't buy another one

97ttpuller

Reaction score
GW is the expert on 6.5s and even he says he wouldn't buy another one

Looks like plan "B" is defiantly in the scrap yard. Thank's everyone for the help so far, its time for me to quit reading and start building. I have a set of gears on the way from Randy's.

97ttpuller

Reaction score
I hate to talk smack about GM on a GM site but WTF??? A factory set up with 31" tires and 3.42 gears is some very poor engineering. I've seen Dodge do some strange things and Ford's "Better Ideas" can be lame but this one is real bad. After taking a good look at the tire size/gear ratio charts its hard to fathom such a poor combination coming off the production line. A couple of you mentioned tire size in earlier answers but since everything is bone stock I did not give it much thought. It's no wonder I'm having such a hard time pulling my trailer.

Great White's awesome reply to my question really got me studying the tire/gear charts. My tires are 265/75/16's or 31.6". Every single tire/gear chart lists 4.10's and the best "Daily Driver" ratio with a 65mph RPM abound 2800. I'm willing to bet that putting 4.10's in will Increase my fuel economy towing or not by not lugging my engine constantly.

I feel real stupid here because I always LMAO at guys that put big tires on their truck's and cried all day about how it turned the truck into a gutless sled. I just never imagined a factory set up would be such a mis-match. That's why I've always been told " To Assume makes an ASS of U n Me" I simply assumed the factory had a clue when they paired the tire size with gear ratio for my truck.
Thanks again guys