a/c problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another quick way to check how well the system is working is to physically touch the AC lines. After a few minutes of use the receiver drier should be cold and sweaty. Check the temps on the condenser out line before and after the orifice tube location. before the orifice it should be hot and after the orifice it should be ice cold. Especially with the ambient temps you are having right now, the differentials should be easy to determine.

** Edit **
This will be a good way to determine if the issue is in your blend door or actually in the A/C system itself. If your lines do not cool down within a minute or two then you'll know the issue is under the hood and not necessarily in the cab.

This guy is busy, so far all we've gotten from repeated questions is that the condenser is installed upside down

Last edited:
Reaction score
By the way, OP, you were supposed to use PAG 150 oil, not PAG 46. Big difference in viscosity. They probably saved your bacon by shipping the compressor filled with the correct oil.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive said it does cooled dn to 50ish degrees while driving and the compressor was shipped with pag 46....

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
as soonas i can ill get temps before and after condenser and evap. im at work soo itll be after 8pm or tommorow after 4. sorry i not been able to give every detail please bear with me thank u

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, OP, you were supposed to use PAG 150 oil, not PAG 46. Big difference in viscosity. They probably saved your bacon by shipping the compressor filled with the correct oil.

I'm not where i can check this at present but OP mentioned that new compressor came with 46. I seem to recall my R4 I installed in the 94 a couple years ago came with 150 but it was an R4(crap). The 95 and up used a Sanden if i'm not mistaken, and I would not be surprised if those speced a lower viscosity PAG oil as they are a far superior compressor.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the condenser is in backwards and the orfice is after the condensed wouldn't the orfice now be before the condenser. It would be like not having a condenser.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the condenser is in backwards and the orfice is after the condensed wouldn't the orfice now be before the condenser. It would be like not having a condenser.
When you say it like that, yes that makes sense! I guess it would depend how he managed to connect the lines. If they are connected properly then everything would still flow the right direction, just the parts orientation is wrong, which really shouldn't affect operation