99Burbs '95 Chevy 2500 RCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
I have been wanting to start a build thread for my truck a while now so here it goes...last fall I picked up my truck which is a 1995 Chevy K2500 with the 6.5 Diesel (I know most dislike but so far has treated me decent) and the 4l80e trans. As long as I can remember I have always wanted a regular cab long box truck. I searched a while for a decent OBS K2500 or K3500 but they were always plow trucks with salters or had 200k+ miles on them so I essentially gave up for a while and that's when a good friend gave me a call. He works at our local GM dealer and sees many vehicles come in on trades especially with the 2015+ body style getting older and having more used on the lots so people trade in their older vehicles. The rule they go by is if its older than 12 years or over 200k miles they get shipped to auction no matter what the condition is. All he told me over the phone was I have a truck down here I think you'll like so after work one night I stopped down and took a look….this is how I first saw it….
You must be registered for see images attach

At first glance I got excited it had the 2 big holes in the bumper which meant it was a diesel and was a RCLB with no plow mount!!! I also noticed it had the Silverado package which I thought was kinda unique but the best part was it only had 143k miles. It was a little rusty but nothing that couldn’t be fixed.

So after talking with a sales I knew since I showed interest in the truck they were gonna make me pay for it, they wanted $3000 which isn’t really that bad but the picker in me had to negotiate...long story short I got it for $2200 out the door and I feel I did pretty good. However while we were negotiating they gave me the name and number of the previous owner who is an 82 year old farmer hence the rear DMI bumper. He ordered the truck new from that dealership in February of 1995 and recieved it October 1995. The truck was then taken right down the road and had the DMI bumper, brush guard and topper installed. The truck was always serviced at the dealership so it has all the records, down to every oil change! I then met him at Fleet Farm and he showed me his new 2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. He gave me the build sheet for the truck and what was gonna be the window sticker for it. So I knew that truck was definitely coming home with me. I saved it by 2 days because if I wasn’t going to purchase it they were gonna use it as their shop truck cause it was a solid truck and I'm sure the poor thing would have not had a easy life.

Day I went to pick it up...even had it in the "Showroom"

99BurbK15

Reaction score
So after a couple days of owning it, I had to at to least paint the rear bumper for now and remove that ugly topper. Give it a nice bath too...

Must have been at least 1/4" of caked hydraulic fluid or something under the bed liner but that definitely helped preserve it...

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Since my truck came with a solid rear window I went on the hunt for a rear slider, and long story short I ended up getting a CR Laurence power slider. I know in a regular cab it is kinda pointless but I figured it would be neat to have. Also scored a tool box for $40!

For this whole build I am really trying to do as good a quality as 88GMCtruck's, using all GM original stuff however I kinda fall short in a few areas. Here is how I did the switch nothing fancy just yet but this will work for now

I then finally found me a rust free chrome rear bumper and hitch so off came the 300lb DMI...

All joking aside the rear of the truck literally went up like 2" when it was disconected

I then had to add a dually clearance light under the tailgate to finish it all off...

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Around the same time I did remove the front bumper/brush guard just to see how it looked. Also added a lower valance I had laying around so it didn't turn out too bad...

Another thing I always wanted was cab lights! After getting an OE harness off a fellow member and a set of GM lenses and bases from the dealer...Im in love all over again

After I had everything the way I wanted it and with spring slowly coming I figured it was time to address the rust so I began the tear down...

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Well of course since the box came off I got excited that it was really happening so I didn't get a whole lot of pictures of the process but here is just about how it looks now...

Since then I found more rust on the passenger fender so that has been removed. Only being 17 I have never really done body work before so I figured Id learn as I go with the help from my Uncle who is an auto body guy. First was to cut all of the rusty rockers off. Gotta love them harsh Wisconsin winters...

New ones cut and put in place ready to be welded...

I didn't grab any pictures of the passenger side before paint but here is the drivers...not too shabby for a first timer if I do say so myself :)

99BurbK15

Reaction score
I really wanted to test my new doors to see how they looked with the new rockers and cab corners and I can't wait to see it finished soooo much better than it was...

That is where it is now except I took the doors back off, just a waiting new door pins and springs. Since I have the bed off Im going to do some preventative maintenance like replace the fuel level sensor, new filler neck and vent tube assembly. Also since both my fuel lines and brake are a little rusty I plan on replacing the fuel lines with stainless steel from Lines to Go and will do the brake lines myself as I have done them on my burb, not a hard job just time consuming. While I have it all apart I am going to put new O rings in my FFM and do the feed the beast kit. Also have a new Carter lift pump with harness from Leroy Diesel along with the oil cooler lines for just for a piece of mind. I will do my best to update as I go along and guarantee I will have a few questions but Im in the right place for that!

Actually where would be a good place to get front fenders from? Are these a good quality?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351604865423

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232535170941

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah nice truck. If I was closer I would consider wheeling and dealing for the topper. But distance and fundage just doesn't allow it. Keep up the work.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I should have some more progress coming relatively soon. Just finished up the passenger side and have fenders on order!

Also starting to remove the upper and lower intake would anyone happen to have the torque specs and sequence?