99 yukon ignition issues help!! only source of transportation for a family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

netdrop

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my son and I swapped out a transmission on his 99 yukon 4wd. After we swapped it out we found a loose blank and white wire and discovered the 40 amp maxi fuse in the under hood fuse block was blowing. When you switch out the fuse and turn the key to on the fuse does not blow. When you turn the key to crank the fuse blows. My son told me that there was two pinched wires between the engine block and the bell housing. A red wire and a blue wire.

So we don't know where the black and white wire goes. We have not checked the red and blue wires for shorts. Any diagrams or suggestions could be helpful. I am attaching the pictures of the black and white wire.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It looks like its by the ignition coil. start taking that plastic coverings off everywhere close to that wire and look for exposed wires. next, ohm out the 2 pinched wires and make sure there's no opens or shorts and tape up the spots where they were pinched.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you did the same thing I did. I pinched the red and blue wires, one is the solenoid wire for the starter and one goes to what I believe is the knock sensor. Not sure about that though. The red (starter) wire must be chaffed shorting out. If you can pull them out from between the engine and trans and the red one isn't completely broken, you should be able to just put some electrical tape on it.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Naw if it was pinched
Fix it correctly
Pinches in wiring causes extra heat there
(Resistance to electrical flow)
And it will melt
Maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but it will fail.
So do it once do it right
Replace the whole thing if you can or solder and heat shrink as far as you can on either side

netdrop

Reaction score
Naw if it was pinched
Fix it correctly
And it will melt
Replace the whole thing if you can or solder and heat shrink as far as you can on either side

He fixed it and the wire was purple. Now it starts however it isn't moving. I believe we are going to need to put ATF in the torque converter. I thought you could get it to fill from the transmission. Also what fluid will work in the transfer case. I thought you could use ATF.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transfer case takes the auto track II fluid if it has the "auto 4wd" option and it is regular 3 button will take dextron 3 fluid. Do not use the dextron 6 in the transfer it's only backwards compatible with the transmissions not the t-cases. GM quit making their manual trans fluid which is what the book calls for for the 3 button t-cases they now recommend the dextron 3 in its place.

Last edited:

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naw if it was pinched
Fix it correctly
And it will melt
Eventually it'll need to be fixed correctly, but electrical tape works just so he can fire it up and test out the trans.
You could say it works "in a pinch".