99 Yukon denali to 97 tahoe swap

4-6 Inch lift

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here. I got to a 1999 GMC Yukon denali that has been my daily/ winter driving when my 12v cummins isn't on the road. I have always hated the plastic bumpers and mouldings.the front clip was getting pretty rough from the Albertin winters , so it was time to sell it or make it what I want . I ripped all the denali crap off and replaced it with 95 burb fenders/ hood and bought a new grill. It's going into paint to clean up All the holes left behind by the riveted trim. I want to lift the truck 4 or 6 inch but sense I have the auto-trac t case the say the lift won't work because of my front shaft. Rather then shelling out hundreds on a new driveshaft to run a t- case that will need to be replace soon anyways.im sure I Can I swap in a push button or floor mouted controlled t- case out of a older model. What would I need would a certain year or case work better ? Speedo issues... ? Thanks guys

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
It sure looks better! I have to agree, I like the Burb/Tahoe/Pickup front better than the Escalade and Denali fronts. I actually kind of liked the molding on the side, but its your truck man. :)

You should find a GMC grille to match the truck there. :D Just my input on that if I were you. :) :)

If you are putting different tires on, then yes, there will be speedo issues. My truck has a 5mph faster speedo difference because I have shorter tires. I go 55 and the speedo says 60. Yours will go backwards though, it will say 50 when going 55 if you do the next step bigger than the 265/75r16.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ok fine, you can swap any tcase as long as the spline counts the same, either would be easy at this point if your ok with cutting, speedo may be off depending on current VSS gear vs the one going in although most people dont find issue with it

Reaction score
Hey guys I'll try to answer the questions and clarify a bit.

I think the auto track is a weak link and rather then rebuild my t- case and buy a new front shaft. I think putting in a new older one would be stronger and less problematic.
Is it a straight bolt in swap ?
Is the wiring the same?
Will I have abs or computer issues if I pull out my auto track?
Is my driveshaft the same as non autotracks?

i wanted to pull the moulding off to clean up any rust and the paint is rubbed through where the plastic touches the body and I don't want that happing to my new paint .

- I know tire size will affect speedo I was wondering if the other t- case had different ratios? Or different speed sensors for tbi trucks?

- just bought Chev grill new ( my favourite grill) putting newer Chev wheels on and all gmc emblems are already off it's going full bow tie.

And I use this thing the plastic bumper and mouldings are great for driving down the highway but in the bush and cold weather they don't hold up.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
stronger? not necesarily any different than the BW 243 or 241s these trucks came with or a 208 for that matter. tcases depending on case has different ratios sometimes different supplied manufacturers but the vss gear can change as well. theres different vss gears throughout any truck, theres no tell to my knowledge of what has what. use it and find out. should be bolt in, if it came from an auto manual and 4l80e trucks had 32 spline while the rest had 27 i think it was. memory isnt working completely atm.

wiring will not be the same, it will have to be changed regardless of what case you use that isnt a 246.

abs doesnt rely on the tcase so you are fine there.

non auto track drivehsafts are entirely different the stub goes into the output of the case instead of a yolk and open u joint. thats why a different driveshaft is necesary. now ALL lifted trucks should have their driveshafts redone if they were setup properly........most people dont care.....but the 246's design and driveshaft forces you to apply the rules of proper driveline when you lift it. just get one made, its easier than finding a good old OE driveshaft that was junk right out of the factory.