99 Tahoe 4wd Leveling Kit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some of you may recognize me. I was here a few years back with the 98 extended cab that is still in my signature.

I recently got back into the GMT400 game with a 99 Tahoe. For the first time ever I'm thinking about going up with my ride and was thinking about a simple leveling kit or maybe a super mild 2-3" lift. What do you guys suggest? I can't go too high because I park in a parking garage daily at work so I'm very limited on my height. Give me you opinions on what's good. I try not to buy junk so I'm trying to avoid that being new to the lift game :)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I might have gotten the info I was looking for in this reply below from a different thread.....

1st of... FORGET aftermarket keys(leveling kit), plain and simple.... the stock keys can level you out with no issue. Stock keys can max you out to the bump stops. Nothing will get past the bump stop. Once it's there it's there..

What bad have you heard about keys(stock not aftermarket)?? That is what out trucks use stock in conjunction with the torsion bars.

Will you have to get an alignment after you crank? It's definately a good idea in my book. Will a crank to level mess up your front end? No it will not, as long as your alignment is good. Will it exaggerate worn out current parts, usually as the angles all changed.

2nd.. shocks... standard oil and or gas charged shocks(like what our trucks use) DO NOT add lift. When they say "shocks with 2-3" lift" they mean the shock travel length is longer and or adjusted for tje lift compared to the stock shocks.

Unless you do the whole 4"+ lift, a crank or SAS is the only way to lift these trucks via the suspension. Only other way to make it look lifted is a body lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looks like I may want to just turn my keys up a bit and get bigger tires and be done. I think a 4-6" lift will be too high due to my parking garage issue so this may be perfect for me. I knew ya'll would have the info somewhere on the board.

I apologize in an advance for creating a repeat thread :)