99 Suburban K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know how to do the power steering pump but what about the gear box was that difficult?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That time includes going to get new bolts for the gearbox and just generally not being in a hurry on that job. It could have been done faster for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Dad put 3 new rebuilt gear boxes on his from O'Reilly and the first must have been a 95 or 96 model because it would not cut sharp, second leaked, third was really tight and leaked. He eventually just put a used one on it for now. What kind of box did you put on yours and does it handle like the factory box without the slop?

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dad put 3 new rebuilt gear boxes on his from O'Reilly and the first must have been a 95 or 96 model because it would not cut sharp, second leaked, third was really tight and leaked. He eventually just put a used one on it for now. What kind of box did you put on yours and does it handle like the factory box without the slop?

I installed a rebuilt box I ordered from Jorgen Auto out of Ann Arbor, MI. The box handles exactly like a factory box without the slop as you mentioned. Excellent customer service and very helpful. I paid $187 plus $100 core charge shipped to my house (cost included return UPS shipping label). I've put almost 20k on the gearbox since installtion without any issues.

Give them a call: 800-333-0600

http://jorgenauto.com

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
My truck has just a little play in the wheel, after the paint job I'm gonna replace it all with Moog steering but I may give them a chance if I need a box. Mine only has 245,*** on it right now so very little wear for a Chevy :). The only leak I have right now is power steering so who knows, I may be putting a box on it sooner rather than later.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
when the steering box on my c1500 ended up leaking really bad I thought about a rebuilt box. But I just bought the seal and bearing kit, pulled it and rebuilt it instead. I do not know if to believe it but had heard that rebuilt boxes are not necessarily completely rebuilt. So i wanted every seal and bearing new. Plenty of how to do it on the interweb and a decent service manual here....scroll down to Saginaw 800.
http://midweststeering.com/service-information/

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when the steering box on my c1500 ended up leaking really bad I thought about a rebuilt box. But I just bought the seal and bearing kit, pulled it and rebuilt it instead. I do not know if to believe it but had heard that rebuilt boxes are not necessarily completely rebuilt. So i wanted every seal and bearing new. Plenty of how to do it on the interweb and a decent service manual here....scroll down to Saginaw 800.
http://midweststeering.com/service-information/
Just saw this. Thanks for the information.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a couple things to the truck tonight. Changed the oil since it was 300 miles overdue. Also changed the fluid and filter in the transmission. Just did a drain and refill, not a flush. The fluid was somewhat burnt so I may be looking at a tranny rebuild sooner than I thought. Replaced the forward accumulator piston and the 1-2 piston in hopes of curing my lazy gear changes when switching from reverse to drive and harsh 1-2 shifts. Seemed to shift better on the way home tonight, but that was only 5 or 6 miles. I'll put about 250 on it Saturday so that should give me a better idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pan cleaned up

Grateful to my buddy who let's me use his shop and teach me this stuff. I know nothing about transmissions.