'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Im working on getting a parts list together for a lq4 swap. From what I'm understanding I'll need a flexplate spacer, correct? I plan to use an 04 up lq4.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Depends. If the engine was mated to an 80e, then the spacer is already there. If the flexplate on your lq4 is flat and your using your current trans then no. It will bolt right up. But if the flex plate is dished the there is no spacer. You will either have to get a spacer and flat flex plate or a spacer that taps into the back of the crank that supports the snout on the torque converter. You may have to elongate the holes for the converter. Can't remember if you have to on the 60e, I know you do for a 700r. Or you could buy one of the many kits you see online.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends. If the engine was mated to an 80e, then the spacer is already there. If the flexplate on your lq4 is flat and your using your current trans then no. It will bolt right up. But if the flex plate is dished the there is no spacer. You will either have to get a spacer and flat flex plate or a spacer that taps into the back of the crank that supports the snout on the torque converter. You may have to elongate the holes for the converter. Can't remember if you have to on the 60e, I know you do for a 700r. Or you could buy one of the many kits you see online.
So basically if I get a lq4 from a 2500 it'll bolt up no issues, but if I get one from a denali or escalade I'll need a spacer and flexplate?

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
So basically if I get a lq4 from a 2500 it'll bolt up no issues, but if I get one from a denali or escalade I'll need a spacer and flexplate?

This is my experience messing with these engines. I've done about two dozen of LS swaps with no issues! As always you should be double dog sure. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coming home from school today, I went to pass a car and it downshifted into 2nd, but didn't pull at all like it was in neutral. 1st, 3rd, and od work normal but it slips very bad in 2nd gear.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fluid is also burnt smelling but still a pinkish red

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after a little driving and seeing where/how it's slipping, it slips in 1st and 2nd after 3000 rpms. Im sure it does it in 3rd as well but didn't want to test it.

Under light acceleration it doesnt slip at all but cruising in OD you can feel it kind of shudder every once in a while.

There's also a whining noise coming from around the torque converter that fluctuates with the rpm and is audible in park, reverse, neutral, and drive.

The torque converter does still lock up in OD.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Issue resolved, it was the alternator. Guess the 15 year old duralast did it's job well, thankfully it had a lifetime warranty on it!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some test fitting on the flares I ordered today and figured out what kind of fasteners I need. Looks like I'm going to have to trim the fronts at the bottom or else they'll get ripped off at full lock.
I'll be painting my grille and the flares here in the next few weeks.
Also waiting on my nnbs shifter to come in so I can wire up my tow/haul switch.
You must be registered for see images attach