'99 4l60e Rebuild and Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First and second gear are slipping in my 1999 K1500 Suburban and my fluid is burnt so it looks like I will be having my tranny rebuilt soon and replacing the rear main seal while it is out. I am looking at having the Transgo HD2 shift kit installed at the time of the rebuild. Is anyone running this kit, and are they any other supporting upgrades I should have done while it is taken apart?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am in my red truck. Good stuff.

I'd also recommend a "beast" sunshell, and if you really want it to shift quick and hard a set of billet servos. Any specific questions contact @rhino, he helped me pick a ton of parts for my rebuild. His website has got great prices.

https://www.rhinotransmissionparts.com

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in my red truck. Good stuff.

I'd also recommend a "beast" sunshell, and if you really want it to shift quick and hard a set of billet servos. Any specific questions contact @rhino, he helped me pick a ton of parts for my rebuild. His website has got great prices.

https://www.rhinotransmissionparts.com
I'm not looking for a snap your neck shift, but something noticeably firmer than stock. I'll look into the beast sunshell too!
Also in tuning should I have any torque management removed or leave it alone?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a snap your neck shift, but something noticeably firmer than stock. I'll look into the beast sunshell too!
Also in tuning should I have any torque management removed or leave it alone?

Personally I wouldn't touch the torque management in the tune. I had 100% of it removed from my stock 4L60E in the red truck and about a week later it kaboom'ed. Got it rebuilt with a beast sunshell, HD2, and billet servos (Plus a bunch of other fancy stuff that I let my builder pick) and it was VIOLENT. To the point where it was spinning the tires hard into second gear at WOT every time, even with the V6 on dry pavement. Sent my PCM back to Black Bear after the rebuild and had them put all the torque management back in, and now it's great. Still shifts very hard, but it's more of a tire bark into second than a full on burnout now.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch the torque management in the tune. I had 100% of it removed from my stock 4L60E in the red truck and about a week later it kaboom'ed. Got it rebuilt with a beast sunshell, HD2, and billet servos (Plus a bunch of other fancy stuff that I let my builder pick) and it was VIOLENT. To the point where it was spinning the tires hard into second gear at WOT every time, even with the V6 on dry pavement. Sent my PCM back to Black Bear after the rebuild and had them put all the torque management back in, and now it's great. Still shifts very hard, but it's more of a tire bark into second than a full on burnout now.
Okay, so basically don't touch torque management. I'll ask the shop what other things they'd recommend and see what the cost difference will be. I'm debating on ordering a black bear tune or a custom data log tune locally. Data log tune is cheaper for me.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had my trans gone through by a chevy dealer transmission man.they had their own trans man.at the dealership.he took it out and replaced all the needed defective parts.stock parts with after market like the beast sun shield.the bill was like 875.00 but the two things.i did not know about that are up in the pan.are two shift solenoids..two 25.00 parts.so what ever you do.change those out too.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i meant sun shell -those were like the first parts to break in the 4l60e transmissions and chevy would not stand behind them and have a recall..these transmissions as stock from the factory have oiling problems.so do the 4l80e transmissions.chevy finally did away with them all.the chevy 350 AND 400 TRANS WERE THE BEST.THEN THEY CAME OUT WITH A 700 R WITH OVER DRIVE.I THINK THE FIRST ONES.WERE NOT ELECTRONIC.then they went to the 700 r electronic.then the 4L60 4L80 WITH OILING PROBLEMS AND WEAK PARTS.LIKE THE SUN SHELL

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a better choice than the "beast" sunshell now a days. Take a look at the Sonnax smart shell, Sonnax also makes an input housing drum upgrade and a bunch of other stuff that will correct deficiencies in the transmission. I run both those, shift reprogramming kit from Superior, .500 boost sleeve, GM 5 pinion planetaries, Transgo plate, turlon balls, deep pan with the correct filter, Corvette Servo and all new electronics. Look at upgrading your external cooler to a better setup than the stock one from GM too while you are there.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to stay with a stock style converter, beast sunshell, transgo .500 boost valve.
Should I do billet servos as well?
I'm wanting it to be stronger than stock while also having quicker shifts.
I plan on a lq9 swap in the future so I want it to be able to handle a mildly built 6.0

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New gm reman transmission is having the same issue the last one did after having it for just over a week. No codes except for a p0160 which I need to have the shop fix since it happened after I got it back.
I'm thinking the slipping is being caused by something electrical not telling the pcm to increase line pressure. It slips in first from 3500 rpms and up, and then very slightly in second at higher rpms. It doesn't always slip though and the fluid isn't burnt yet. Any ideas?