98 z71 intermittent no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lit549

Reaction score
I took off the cap just to look and theyre aluminum,called oreillys,everything they have says aluminum..I have tried to verify the ac delco one you listed is brass,no one can tell me.Its warm today,it started in 3 tries.When its cold it takes for ever,i poured gas in yhe throttlebody and it started,that tells me fuel isnt getting to yhe throytle body.Im still leaning towards fuel pressure regulator or spider..I have read on forums where guys have same issue and it was cap- rotor,BUT,they had a no start situation..Is that what yours did or did it start sometimes like mine??

You must be registered for see images attach

JasonLC

Reaction score
I took off the cap just to look and theyre aluminum,called oreillys,everything they have says aluminum..I have tried to verify the ac delco one you listed is brass,no one can tell me.Its warm today,it started in 3 tries.When its cold it takes for ever,i poured gas in yhe throttlebody and it started,that tells me fuel isnt getting to yhe throytle body.Im still leaning towards fuel pressure regulator or spider..I have read on forums where guys have same issue and it was cap- rotor,BUT,they had a no start situation..Is that what yours did or did it start sometimes like mine??

mine would eventually start, (unless it was really wet out) i thought it was a fuel pressure issue as well. mine also had spark, just wasn't good spark. and when it did start it ran like crap.

JasonLC

Reaction score
mine would eventually start, (unless it was really wet out) i thought it was a fuel pressure issue as well. mine also had spark, just wasn't good spark. and when it did start it ran like crap.
oops, i said brass, i meant copper. sorry

lit549

Reaction score
i looked up the cap you listed and looked at pics online and they all look like aluminum post?Im having a hard time finding any available with copper post..

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I have a 93 tbi 5.7L doing the same thing. when it starts it runs like a scalded rabbit but as I'm driving it shuts off. I have changed the fuel pump and the cap and rotor after work I'm changing spark plugs and wires then the coil. I see fuel pouring in the intake but not starting. if I let it sit a long while then it will run. I did smell a faint gas smell just before it died in the middle of a three lane street.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Update. I found out the problem. After changing the plugs, wires, and coil it still was intermitten. but when I put the breather back on, the truck died. took the breather off and started it. put the breather back on and dies. did this one more time to see a pattern. next I started it and put my hands on the ring under the breather and pressed down on it and the truck died. took the ring off and one of the injector wires was pinched between the TBI and the ring. $5 liquid tape and put everything back on and it ran. now even better.

lit549

Reaction score
well,i checked fuel pressure again and it holds so regulator is good.I did cycle key test and when i first turn the key it jumps to 30psi,turn key off and it jumps to 50psi,cycle it again and it goes to 60 psi..Start the engine and it idles with 49psi,rev the engine and it raises with rpm,highest it goes is about 58psi when i rev it around 4k rpm..I thoight these trucks needed 60 psi just to run?And of course it starts right up today cause its 80 degrees today..Im stumped,idk if i should pull the fuel pump or not,its a delphi from rock auto..

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a bad fuel filter or a clogged fuel strainer. Even oem parts are occasionally bad out of the box or have defects. Not sure on your year but on the 95's the filter is on the frame rail. Get a filter fuel pressure bypass tester and check with the filter removed. They run about twenty bucks on amazon. Or just try replacing the filter with a new delco one. Ymho

lit549

Reaction score
Fuel filter is new..Also,what is the normal pressure at idle?49 psi seems low to me?Pump is under warranty so i can return it but dont really wanna drop the tank again..