'98 Silverado Z71 "Town Pickup"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread on the slow "build" of my latest acquisition.

A little background on the thread title. I grew up farming/ranching in western NE. Back when I was a kid, everyone had work pickups and one nice "Town Pickup". It generally was mostly a people hauler, sometimes it was a heavier 3/4t or 1 ton to pull the "good" trailer. It sat in the shed/barn/garage most of the time.

This pickup will be my daily driver, but will "appear" stock for the most part. There will be no lifts or crazy modifications. It will be that pickup that passes by, that requires a 2nd look when you realize it's not just an every day run of the mill GMT400.

This '98 is replacing my 1995 GMC C1500 RCSB. It was a sweet little pickup, but I got tired of moving the car seat in and out.

The 95:

You must be registered for see images attach

I found this 1998 in MO. It is a CA/NV transplant, so it has zero rust. It was owned by a commercial pilot that made 2 trips a week between L.A. and Vegas. It doesn't even have a receiver hitch, so it has never towed a trailer, just lived on the highway. It's amazing how clean underneath it is.

On to the pictures.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Plans include:

Better exhaust, 4-hi HD harness, crank the front level, 17" or 18" factory GM wheels, Raptor Liner the bed, pinstripe, tinted side windows, clear headlights/turns/markers, possibly a two-tone with a roll pan, smoothie front bumper, window vent guards, better audio. Some day a RamJet cam, tune, and headers.

I'm thinking about doing red LED's in the cluster also, or possibly in a Denali/Esky cluster. Not sure if they will look purple in the latter though.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Both nice clean trucks! I like that RCSB! I woulda 'wrecked' it though, (in a good way!) & slammed it 4/7 or 5/8! Lol! But that's just me!

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Both nice clean trucks! I like that RCSB! I woulda 'wrecked' it though, (in a good way!) & slammed it 4/7 or 5/8! Lol! But that's just me!

Thanks! The RCSB was c-notched, I just never could bring myself to drop it that low. If I would have kept it a 2/4 was in order, it still towed a trailer occasionally, and our gravel roads are garbage.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
What a beauty. I would remove the chrome around the fenders asap - all they do is trap water and salt against your fenders!

Thanks. I'm generally not a chrome guy, but I'm trying to keep the "adequate" amount on this pickup, but your thoughts have crossed my mind. At first I was going to color match the bumpers and grill, but I'm not so sure now. Red, black, and white will for sure be the color scheme throughout. If I two-tone it, I will use the same color I used on the RCSB.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm generally not a chrome guy, but I'm trying to keep the "adequate" amount on this pickup, but your thoughts have crossed my mind. At first I was going to color match the bumpers and grill, but I'm not so sure now. Red, black, and white will for sure be the color scheme throughout. If I two-tone it, I will use the same color I used on the RCSB.

If you're not going to remove them, then get a roll of 3m double sided tape and tape down the top lip. Those chrome fenders are bolted on to the bottom, so they literally just take water in and hold it there against your fender. I would think that taping the top lip then screwing them back into the fender from the bottom will help keep the water from getting in and sitting there.