98 sierra keyless entry problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been putting a little time and money into my 98 ECSB to get it back roadworthy, rebuilding the frontend mainly. At this point im waiting on parts to get here before I can finish her up. well being in the garage already got me to looking over my truck trying to find other things that may have been neglected that I could address while its down. one of the things I came across was the old key fob for the truck in the center console. I had all but forgotten that the truck had keyless entry. If my memory serves me right I think the fob just slowly lost range till I gave up on them altogether. I haven't used the keyless entry in probably at least 4 or 5 years. This is about the time the truck became a secondary vehicle rather than a primary. Now that I'm trying to get the keyless entry back going, I have two key fobs; one is the original 2 button GM 16245100-29 that I know for a fact worked on the truck at one point in its life, and one is a 3 button (LOCK, UNLOCK, AND THE RED ALARM SYMBOL) that I think came from a mid 2000 truck. GM/UTA 15732803. I purchased a new battery last night and set out to reprogram either of the remotes that I had. I jumpered #4 and #8 and the locks cycled but no amount of button pressing would program either remotes that I had in my possession.

So that long winded backstory leads me to my two main questions: If the locks cycled when jumpering pins 4 & 8 does that tell me that the keyless entry receiver in the dash is functioning properly? And, will the 3 button fob even work at all or do I need to throw it in the garbage and stick with the 2 button?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The service manual isn't much help as it requires a special "tool" to test the transmitter and a known good transmitter to test the keyless entry system. The short answer is to probably just get a new remote and make sure that the positive side of the battery is facing down. Also that your cigarette lighter fuse is good.

Here are the diagnostics, maybe it will help but step 5 seems to be missing from their table...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question. The dealer installed GM receiver on my 1998 has slowly faded away. This might help me get to the heart of the problem. Right now nothing works.