98 push button 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98joe

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello I need your guys help I am new here. But love my 98 Chevys I'm on my third one.. the one I currently have is a 98 GMC Sierra extended cab four wheel drive K 1500 with push button 4 wheel drive. It's done this three times over the last week it will put itself into 4hi while driving down the road at 50 miles an hour (or any speed) i will hear a clunk and look over and the four high light will be lit up. Press the 2hi button goes back to 2wd for aday or so till it does it again Do you think it could be the selector switch or somthing else? Thank you

Last edited:

98joe

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello I need your guys help I am new here. But love my 98 Chevys I'm on my third one.. the one I currently have is a 98 GMC Sierra extended cab four wheel drive K 1500 with push button 4 wheel drive. It's done this three times over the last week it will put itself into 4hi while driving down the road at 50 miles an hour (or any speed) i will hear a clunk and look over and the four high light will be lit up. Press the 2hi button goes back to 2wd for aday or so till it does it again Do you think it could be the selector switch or somthing else? Thank you

98joe

Reaction score
I picked up a 4 wheel drive selector button at the junkyard have got a 130 miles on it seems to be okay so far my fingers are crossed

98joe

Reaction score
I picked up a 4 wheel drive selector button at the junkyard have got a 130 miles on it seems to be okay so far my fingers are crossed
Okay so I replace the push button switch and the transfer case control module the truck goes 100 miles or so before I'll do it again I noticed however when it puts itself in the 4 wheel drive the 4 high light comes on in the for low light will blink is this some type of code or somthing? any help would be appreciated!!!

98joe

Reaction score
There is a way to jump the pins on your OBD2 ALDL connector to retrieve transfer case codes. I'm not sure where the info is but it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Found it. Check page 3

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/1997-gmc-1500-4wd-wont-engage-and-just-blinks.15475/page-3

diesel Detroit thank you for your reply appreciate the advice I think it was pin 13 that you have to jump I ended up trying it no codes after that however I replace the only last thing I thought it could be and I got lucky I replace the encoder motor on the transfer case and I've driven it 600 miles no more throwing itself into 4 wheel drive moments I was waiting for it to do it when I passed somebody on the highway or pulling out of a slippery Road but it never did luckly thanks again-joe