98 L31 K1500 Camshaft Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben D

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

First off, I am a bit new here, but have been lurking for about 2-3 years.
Second, thanks to the suspension forum, im not making the RCX 3" lift mistake and just went with the 4".

So let me get to it, NEW LONGBLOCK L31, New upgraded spyder injector with injectors and NOT poppets, fresh trans....literally new everything that counts!

Ok, I have been reading through countless threads and have seen tons of mixed info. I know that our ecu's are sensitive to the wrong cam. LT1 and other cams have been mentioned repeatedly but I feel the cams mentioned don't fully tell what part numbers are needed etc.
Once the cam is in I will have it tuned by black bear I believe it is.

My needs for this cam? Power, but not high rpm, I want low to mid rpm power with a smooth upper power band (if there is such a thing). I would like a "complete kit" if possible? (meaning cam, lifters, rockers, springs etc all in one package)

Does anybody have a suggestion for an "all in one kit" or even part numbers for a piece together kit that works without setting off the CEL?

I appreciate any info any of you can offer. And again....YES.....I absolutely searched!

Thanks!

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome!

I don't have much input to your questions but I might be able to help you find it. It's difficult to search for anything on this forum that's only 3 characters long. Like 'cam'. So try using google search.

cam site:gmt400.com

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I suggest the camshaft that GM designed for the following engines: ramjet 350, HT383, & marine application 350. GM#14097395 You can use this with the stock tune (and mostly all stock components) if necessary. It is small enough to preserve the from-idle powerband you want, yet "big" enough to feel in the seat of the pants. About the only obligatory parts you'll need is a set of valve springs. These fit the bill: alexsparts.com #VSK4H50. You can use your pushrods if they're OK, and your lifters.

Ben D

Reaction score
I suggest the camshaft that GM designed for the following engines: ramjet 350, HT383, & marine application 350. GM#14097395 You can use this with the stock tune (and mostly all stock components) if necessary. It is small enough to preserve the from-idle powerband you want, yet "big" enough to feel in the seat of the pants. About the only obligatory parts you'll need is a set of valve springs. These fit the bill: alexsparts.com #VSK4H50. You can use your pushrods if they're OK, and your lifters.

That's awesome! Exactly what info I needed. By chance do you know or have you read about anyone who did this combo?

Thanks again!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yeah. Me.

I also have 1.6:1 roller rockers, headers/exhaust, ported heads and intake, a different fan, no cats, no egr, and a hot tune.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I too have the ramjet cam with 1.6s and love it. Acts like stock except there's more ass everywhere. My LTFTs are closer to zero now and the datalogs showed an increase in airflow, so I still have yet to monkey with VE and MAF settings. This setup plays very nice with a stock tune. That said, the stock tune leaves A LOT on the table regardless of mods so take that for what it's worth.

Ben D

Reaction score
I too have the ramjet cam with 1.6s and love it. Acts like stock except there's more ass everywhere. My LTFTs are closer to zero now and the datalogs showed an increase in airflow, so I still have yet to monkey with VE and MAF settings. This setup plays very nice with a stock tune. That said, the stock tune leaves A LOT on the table regardless of mods so take that for what it's worth.

I love that this will play well with the stock tune. It gives me some time to get all the mods done before tuning it.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Brace yourselves. The '395 cam is cut on a 109° LSA. So much for 112° to play with the stock tune.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Yeah. Me.

I also have 1.6:1 roller rockers, headers/exhaust, ported heads and intake, a different fan, no cats, no egr, and a hot tune.

I was about to ask about the specs of your engine when I saw this thread, as far as I'm concerned; you've built the most perfect small block Vortec in existence,

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brace yourselves. The '395 cam is cut on a 109° LSA. So much for 112° to play with the stock tune.

I can't stand that that's so widespread. Hell stock LSA is 111. The duration is so small it generates plenty of vacuum.