98 K3500 454 gooseneck capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
poor people without a choice? please don't play that card with me.....there's ALWAYS a choice, always....but i do get it....i wore a hair shirt myself comin up and i don't buy that argument.....yea, sometimes you have to do what is necessary to put food on the table, but there's always a different choice to be made....PERIOD.

i did what i did and got what i got because of the decisions that i CHOSE to make.....and it cost me lots of time....and money

i can't, IN GOOD CONSCIENCE, come onto the internet and advise someone i don't know to do an irresponsible and illegal thing when i CAN think of an alternative......that would be IRRESPONSIBLE on my part.

yea it can be done...probably many times too, till the day it goes fu@kin sideways and someone gets hurt or dead....or you just caught overweight and THAT can costs money in tickets too(then poor gets "poorer")

i've seen it way too many times, in all sorts of scenarios.....a good friend was a very good drug dealer, for many years....careful as can be....till the day he got caught and spent 10 flat in club fed.....not to mention all the costs associated with the trial......pretty much wiped out everything he saved for "retirement"....all them times he didn't think he'd get caught because "he did it all the time with no incident"......everyone gets caught.....eventually the teflon wears off........and i sure as fu@k know this.

and the stickers on certain new trucks say you can do it.....that's all what matters.
Long speech about safety then "the sticker is all that matters". Hell, just buy a sticker, be alot cheaper. And 20k lbs with a dually is not near the Russian roulette everyone is making it out to be. Nobody is f###### saying to set the cruise at 90 mph and get on Facebook, watch a movie, and take a nap. Takes a little more sense than pulling a lawn mower

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Long speech about safety then "the sticker is all that matters". Hell, just buy a sticker, be alot cheaper. And 20k lbs with a dually is not near the Russian roulette everyone is making it out to be. Nobody is f###### saying to set the cruise at 90 mph and get on Facebook, watch a movie, and take a nap. Takes a little more sense than pulling a lawn mower

buy a sticker?

perhaps you're just not understanding the POTENTIAL ramifications if you're involved in an accident....when over the GCVW. actually it sounds like you just don't give a ****.

it's NOT about what the truck can or can't do, because with a good driver and good equipment it CAN be done for sure.......it's ALL about what happens if you hurt or kill someone in an accident.......

"i've don't it a thousand times with no problem".....i hear that a lot.......until the day it does happen.... it doesn't even have to be your fault. someone can hit YOU in the rear, that's certainly not your fault.....but i'm sure the cop is going to go over your paperwork.....and he might even be savvy enough to know that you're overweight. then the tickets flow. sometimes vehicles get impounded too

in the city the DOT and certain special police units set up check-points with portable scales on regular city roads.....it's a revenue builder, a fu@kin cash cow for the city......and then they get to crawl up your ass for EVERYTHING....tires, lights, etc.........it turn into a roadside inspection station with thousands of dollars of tickets written.

and the State Police do it in rural areas as well....highway signs lit up.."all trailers pull into rest area"...why the fu@k do you think they do that....to give you a cookie?

maybe you didn't know i've seen the aftermath....including many dead people, during my tenure as a tow driver for 13 years.

let the OP make his own choices. maybe now he has more information to make a better decision.

you do you, let him do him..... i hope nothing bad ever happens.

i'm done with this

Last edited:

CR506

Reaction score
It's all a moot point now. Too much weight. By a longshot. Going to sell the truck and buy a single axle day cab. Thanks to everyone who helped me and for all the information.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I would get a good trailer brake controller and pull it, drive slowish.
This is what people did before 1000 lb TQ diesels came out with exhaust brakes and s###.
Will it stop really quickly, no, it will not. But 25k lbs behind a new dually that is rated for it won't either, f### what the stickers on em says.
If you're not a good driver with a well maintained truck and trailer you shouldn't do this. Or if it worries you at all you shouldn't do it either. I'm a farm kid and worked on drilling rigs, gas plants, grain elevators, etc. If it'll pull it I'll hook it up. Just my .02.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with shovelbill here. Having taken my truck, 92 k3500 extended cab dually to GCVW of 17,000 and having trailer brake failure. Not fun in the least bit. I couldn't imagine adding 10k on top of that. The brakes on these trucks is marginal at best to stop what they are rated for.

Things break and failures happen. Especially when Mr. Murphy has his way.

I have responded to multiple accidents that probably would have been avoided by following the f@cking sticker on the door. One to include two young people being decapitated by a gooseneck flatbed trailer pushing a truck around.

I know the rating on the newer truck seem a bit inflated. The technological advancements from the 90s to today is far greater. It's no longer about to shear size. From metallurgy, tire tech, suspension geometry and of course braking and traction control all play into what a vehicle is capable of.

Irresponsible and negligent. If you choose to do this on your own property by yourself, that is one thing. When you drive on a public highway where other have a general belief no one else will knowingly be putting them in mortal danger, that is something entirely different.

Last edited:

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came across the scale in my 96 k3500 dually weighing in at 26000. pulling two grain wagons. no brakes on either wagons. went about 20 miles. WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN. that being said the truck did do it and if you follow my build you will see how bad my frame is rusted though/cracked in a few weeks when i get to the frame swap....

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
buy a sticker?

perhaps you're just not understanding the POTENTIAL ramifications if you're involved in an accident....when over the GCVW. actually it sounds like you just don't give a ****.

it's NOT about what the truck can or can't do, because with a good driver and good equipment it CAN be done for sure.......it's ALL about what happens if you hurt or kill someone in an accident.......

"i've don't it a thousand times with no problem".....i hear that a lot.......until the day it does happen.... it doesn't even have to be your fault. someone can hit YOU in the rear, that's certainly not your fault.....but i'm sure the cop is going to go over your paperwork.....and he might even be savvy enough to know that you're overweight. then the tickets flow. sometimes vehicles get impounded too

in the city the DOT and certain special police units set up check-points with portable scales on regular city roads.....it's a revenue builder, a fu@kin cash cow for the city......and then they get to crawl up your ass for EVERYTHING....tires, lights, etc.........it turn into a roadside inspection station with thousands of dollars of tickets written.

and the State Police do it in rural areas as well....highway signs lit up.."all trailers pull into rest area"...why the fu@k do you think they do that....to give you a cookie?

maybe you didn't know i've seen the aftermath....including many dead people, during my tenure as a tow driver for 13 years.

let the OP make his own choices. maybe now he has more information to make a better decision.

you do you, let him do him..... i hope nothing bad ever happens.

i'm done with this
We have been agreeing this entire time, and getting really worked up for it for some reason. It can be done, and is not ideal. I'm fully aware of ramifications, drove trucks big and small my whole life. Thus concludes stupid internet arguments for one day....

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Having worked in the towing industry for a few years ( not as long as Bill ) I saw a lot of screw ups as well.

Please don't be one of those people that say 'that'll never happen'... when you decide to drive down the road overloaded with not enough vehicle in front of the load.

All you need is ONE person not paying attention, to pull out in front of you. If you have no where to go and you can't stop... what then??

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would get a good trailer brake controller and pull it, drive slowish.
This is what people did before 1000 lb TQ diesels came out with exhaust brakes and s###.
Will it stop really quickly, no, it will not. But 25k lbs behind a new dually that is rated for it won't either, f### what the stickers on em says.
If you're not a good driver with a well maintained truck and trailer you shouldn't do this. Or if it worries you at all you shouldn't do it either. I'm a farm kid and worked on drilling rigs, gas plants, grain elevators, etc. If it'll pull it I'll hook it up. Just my .02.

No, poor people without a choice did it. And the stickers I was cursing are the ones on the new 1 tons claiming they can safely pull 29000 lbs. But then again, "safely", is always an arguable boundary.

Safety is an arguable boundary? Sorry, but that is 100% wrong.

Let's back up to post#4.

"Thanks. I've got a 15k lb dozer & a 25' dovetail all-steel 3-axle trailer, which I will probably take one axle off & use 2 8k axles. The truck and dozer alone put me over the listed GCWR. Think this truck would pull it ok short distances? I have two properties about 20 miles apart. I don't expect to ever pull it a longer distance than that. I also have to cross one bridge. This truck is paid for & basically all I've got to pull anything. I'd prefer to not have to buy a stronger truck. This one MIGHT get used 3 or 4 times a year. I've yet to pull anything with it until I get a transmission issue figured out. I've posted a thread in the transmission section in case you guys may have some input on that as well. Thanks again for the towing info."

The OP has a trailer that is heavy... with 3 axles ( assuming at least 6000 pound axles )

He also has 2 properties and a 7 1/2 ton crawler dozer.

He wants to re-engineer the trailer ( remove 3 axles and install 2 8000 pound axles ( not sure what the original axles are, but I assume 6000 pound axles, with 6 bolt wheels )

If the trailer was built as a tridem, and you plan to put nearly the same load on 2 8000 pound axles, why the hell don't you think they would have built it as such??

He wants to keep the truck, use it 3-4 times a year at the outside. ( yet modify the trailer, perhaps purchasing two axles )

It is obvious the OP is not poor as alleged. The money spent on 4 x float moves ( figure 1/2 hour for load / unload cycle ) + 15 minute drive, that works out to about 45 minutes x perhaps 8 total moves.

At $ 135 /hr ( in this area ) that would be a total of about 6 hours of floating time at $ 810+tax, all while staying legal and safe.

Even if the OP has 8 bolt wheels and hubs, and only needs to purchase 2 axle beams with backing plates, he would still spend that money.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Safety is an arguable boundary? Sorry, but that is 100% wrong.

Let's back up to post#4.

"Thanks. I've got a 15k lb dozer & a 25' dovetail all-steel 3-axle trailer, which I will probably take one axle off & use 2 8k axles. The truck and dozer alone put me over the listed GCWR. Think this truck would pull it ok short distances? I have two properties about 20 miles apart. I don't expect to ever pull it a longer distance than that. I also have to cross one bridge. This truck is paid for & basically all I've got to pull anything. I'd prefer to not have to buy a stronger truck. This one MIGHT get used 3 or 4 times a year. I've yet to pull anything with it until I get a transmission issue figured out. I've posted a thread in the transmission section in case you guys may have some input on that as well. Thanks again for the towing info."

The OP has a trailer that is heavy... with 3 axles ( assuming at least 6000 pound axles )

He also has 2 properties and a 7 1/2 ton crawler dozer.

He wants to re-engineer the trailer ( remove 3 axles and install 2 8000 pound axles ( not sure what the original axles are, but I assume 6000 pound axles, with 6 bolt wheels )

If the trailer was built as a tridem, and you plan to put nearly the same load on 2 8000 pound axles, why the hell don't you think they would have built it as such??

He wants to keep the truck, use it 3-4 times a year at the outside. ( yet modify the trailer, perhaps purchasing two axles )

It is obvious the OP is not poor as alleged. The money spent on 4 x float moves ( figure 1/2 hour for load / unload cycle ) + 15 minute drive, that works out to about 45 minutes x perhaps 8 total moves.

At $ 135 /hr ( in this area ) that would be a total of about 6 hours of floating time at $ 810+tax, all while staying legal and safe.

Even if the OP has 8 bolt wheels and hubs, and only needs to purchase 2 axle beams with backing plates, he would still spend that money.
Cool story bro. I've done more trucking and trailering than most will ever do, and I can read. This has been beat to death and the OP has solved his question.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Cool story bro. I've done more trucking and trailering than most will ever do, and I can read. This has been beat to death and the OP has solved his question.

Cool story bro?

It's obvious that you feel you are entitled, and have no consideration for the rest of the motoring public.

Do what you like on a farm, not on a public road.

I have personally seen a full 4x8 foot sheet of 1/8th steel plate that decapitated a truck driver, and was embedded up to the sleeper. I will not post the pictures.

A teacher driving a SUV decided it was a good, prudent and legal idea to overload a roof rack by putting said plate on the roof and strapping it down with 4 1" wide ratchet straps.

Meeting an oncoming vehicle, the wind blast tore the roof rack from the SUV, killing the truck driver following the SUV instantly. The loaded tractor trailer left the highway, striking and knocking down a 500KV hydro transmission tower, energizing the load of steel on the trailer.

This incident closed the highway in both directions for quite some time.