98 K3500 454 gooseneck capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Sounds like I should get rid of it and get a single axle business class big truck. Any guesses as to what this dually might be worth with the trans issue factored in? It's an SLE. New dealer installed motor has about 11k miles on it.

A single axle is a much better idea for towing this kind of weight, if you only need to pull it once or twice a year, it would be cheaper to hire someone with the correct equipment to float it. Better tires, better brakes, the list goes on.

As far as price, it's totally market driven, and only applicable in your area.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with everybody else. Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD. Something that heavy, might as well use a truck and trailer that requires a CDL and has air brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I have to agree with everybody else. Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD. Something that heavy, might as well use a truck and trailer that requires a CDL and has air brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM did make hydro-boost in trucks to 32,00 GVW if i'm not mistaken......

it's ALL about the door sticker....especially in these litigious times we live in, God forbid something bad happens.

and bad **** NEVER happens, right?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The real question is why is the truck rated so low? Is it brakes or suspension that's the limiting factor. GM implies that they're restricted by power, so from a strictly safety standpoint one could argue that you're fine if you can maintain speed. Legal is a whole 'nuther can of worms.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get a good trailer brake controller and pull it, drive slowish.
This is what people did before 1000 lb TQ diesels came out with exhaust brakes and s###.
Will it stop really quickly, no, it will not. But 25k lbs behind a new dually that is rated for it won't either, f### what the stickers on em says.
If you're not a good driver with a well maintained truck and trailer you shouldn't do this. Or if it worries you at all you shouldn't do it either. I'm a farm kid and worked on drilling rigs, gas plants, grain elevators, etc. If it'll pull it I'll hook it up. Just my .02.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
This is what people did before 1000 lb TQ diesels came out with exhaust brakes and s###.
Will it stop really quickly, no, it will not. But 25k lbs behind a new dually that is rated for it won't either, f### what the stickers on em says.
If you're not a good driver with a well maintained truck and trailer you shouldn't do this. Or if it worries you at all you shouldn't do it either. I'm a farm kid and worked on drilling rigs, gas plants, grain elevators, etc. If it'll pull it I'll hook it up. Just my .02.

no, irresponsible people did this....and still do i see.
yea, fu@k them stickers.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no, irresponsible people did this....and still do i see.
yea, fu@k them stickers.
No, poor people without a choice did it. And the stickers I was cursing are the ones on the new 1 tons claiming they can safely pull 29000 lbs. But then again, "safely", is always an arguable boundary.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and if you go shopping for a rig to occasionally for work purposes you can usually find a used topkick or Kodiak for cheap. They're not speeddemons (65 mph is it if you're lucky), but get one with a 3116 cat and a split axle (they made millions of these) and you can pull alot effortlessly.
It'll save you money in the long run over buying a PU that can easily pull 20k plus. I've run Kodiak's all over the world pulling 20k lbs and still pulling 8 to 9 mpg, granted, had to drive 62 mph to do it. But they're damn near bulletproof and cheap compared to a new dually.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

No, poor people without a choice did it. And the stickers I was cursing are the ones on the new 1 tons claiming they can safely pull 29000 lbs. But then again, "safely", is always an arguable boundary.

poor people without a choice? please don't play that card with me.....there's ALWAYS a choice, always....but i do get it....i wore a hair shirt myself comin up and i don't buy that argument.....yea, sometimes you have to do what is necessary to put food on the table, but there's always a different choice to be made....PERIOD.

i did what i did and got what i got because of the decisions that i CHOSE to make.....and it cost me lots of time....and money

i can't, IN GOOD CONSCIENCE, come onto the internet and advise someone i don't know to do an irresponsible and illegal thing when i CAN think of an alternative......that would be IRRESPONSIBLE on my part.

yea it can be done...probably many times too, till the day it goes fu@kin sideways and someone gets hurt or dead....or you just get caught overweight and THAT can costs money in tickets too(then poor gets "poorer")

i've seen it way too many times, in all sorts of scenarios.....a good friend was a very good drug dealer, for many years....careful as can be....till the day he got caught and spent 10 flat in club fed.....not to mention all the costs associated with the trial......pretty much wiped out everything he saved for "retirement"....all them times he didn't think he'd get caught because "he did it all the time with no incident"......everyone gets caught.....eventually the teflon wears off........and i sure as fu@k know this.

and the stickers on certain new trucks say you can do it.....that's all what matters.

Last edited: