98 K3500 454 gooseneck capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CR506

Reaction score
All the info I've been able to find is the truck can pull 10,000 pounds max conventionally. I haven't been able to get any information on the 5th wheel/gooseneck tow rating. It's a 98 K3500 extended cab dually with the 454 & 4L80E. Does anyone have this info or know where I can find it? Thanks

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
All the info I've been able to find is the truck can pull 10,000 pounds max conventionally. I haven't been able to get any information on the 5th wheel/gooseneck tow rating. It's a 98 K3500 extended cab dually with the 454 & 4L80E. Does anyone have this info or know where I can find it? Thanks

has to do with gearing as well...search it out. i saw it not too long ago. i "believe" it to be 12,500 pounds with 4.56 and a 454

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Directly from GM Heritage Center documentation for 1998

Your truck is a 98 K3500 EC DRW 454/4L80E. Gears you did not post but are more than likely 4.10s (4.56s were offered and are rare as hens teeth).

Ball Hitch - 10,000 LBS trailer 1,000 LBS tongue
Fifth Wheel - 10,000 LBS trailer 3,000 LBS tongue

GCWR - 17,000 LBS - So this is the weight of your truck + passengers, cargo, fuel, and total weight of the trailer.

You must be registered for see images attach

CR506

Reaction score
Thanks. I've got a 15k lb dozer & a 25' dovetail all-steel 3-axle trailer, which I will probably take one axle off & use 2 8k axles. The truck and dozer alone put me over the listed GCWR. Think this truck would pull it ok short distances? I have two properties about 20 miles apart. I don't expect to ever pull it a longer distance than that. I also have to cross one bridge. This truck is paid for & basically all I've got to pull anything. I'd prefer to not have to buy a stronger truck. This one MIGHT get used 3 or 4 times a year. I've yet to pull anything with it until I get a transmission issue figured out. I've posted a thread in the transmission section in case you guys may have some input on that as well. Thanks again for the towing info.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The dozer weight alone is almost at your gcwr. Much less add 6k lbs truck to the equation and probably close to the same for the trailer. I'm guessing somewhere around 24-28k
What these trucks can do vs what they are rated to do is often a topic of debate. Some believe if it can move it forward regardless of location of bump stops in relation to axel. You are good to go. Others believe you should keep it as close to the legal limit as possible.
I'm of the latter group. No need to get a negligent homicide charge because you didn't want to use the right tool for a 20 mile trip.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Thanks. I've got a 15k lb dozer & a 25' dovetail all-steel 3-axle trailer, which I will probably take one axle off & use 2 8k axles. The truck and dozer alone put me over the listed GCWR. Think this truck would pull it ok short distances? I have two properties about 20 miles apart. I don't expect to ever pull it a longer distance than that. I also have to cross one bridge. This truck is paid for & basically all I've got to pull anything. I'd prefer to not have to buy a stronger truck. This one MIGHT get used 3 or 4 times a year. I've yet to pull anything with it until I get a transmission issue figured out. I've posted a thread in the transmission section in case you guys may have some input on that as well. Thanks again for the towing info.

just because it can PULL it, doesn't mean you should.....that dozer and trailer combo is double what you can legally tow.....towing and pulling are two different animals.

that kind of weight would be ok on a fully "dressed for towing" 2017 Chevy Duramax dually.....back in the era of these rigs you would have used a Kodiak C4500(up to 8500) for that kind of weight.

but this is cool....

Last edited:

CR506

Reaction score
Sounds like I should get rid of it and get a single axle business class big truck. Any guesses as to what this dually might be worth with the trans issue factored in? It's an SLE. New dealer installed motor has about 11k miles on it.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

Short distances? Responsible driving? Lots of room between you and the next guy? I assume so, that being said, see the '96 in my signature? It's pulled a 35' tandem axle 22.5k gross gooseneck with a JD 310SG 4x4 backhoe on it. No more than 20 miles one-way, done it a few times, kind of a spring/fall move situation. Well maintained truck, quality brake controller, everything dialed in and no incidents.