98 GMC Sierra Fuel Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 96-98 Vortec equiped trucks, the fuel sending unit and pump are one unit. If one goes bad you have to replace both. But on the 88-95 TBI trucks, that is a very good point. The lines coming out of the tank are often pretty brittle, and won't take much force to twist off or brake a line.

Negative ghost rider. 98+ gmt400 had the one piece unit.

Sent from somewhere in MN

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could of swore they started with those in 96', but it has been a quite a while since i replaced one in a 96-98 GMT400 so I may have been wrong :rofl:

My truck has the seperate pump but my moms 97 blazer has the expensive one piece pump

Sent from somewhere in MN

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me that moving the bed would be the easiest method. Here's the steps for the two methods I can remember from my 07 Silverado...

First - remove the tailgate, remove the rear lights, undo the light connectors and unthread them so they are hanging out from under the truck, remove the bolts around the filler cap and separate the inner area from the bed, remove the ground strap near the tank, then take out the 8 bolts on each side of the bed, slide the bed back a few feet.

Second - remove the bolts around the filler cap and separate the inner area from the bed, remove the ground strap near the tank, take out the front 7 of the bolts on each side of the bed, loosen the back 1 bolt on each side until only 2-3 threads are in on each, take a jack and a piece of wood to span the gap to the bottom of the bed, lift the front of the bed hinging on the back 2 bolts until enough room is available to reach over the frame and under the bed and get to the top of the fuel tank, then block the bed in the up position (don't trust the jack and wood with your arms in the scissor gap).

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
On the 96-98 Vortec equiped trucks, the fuel sending unit and pump are one unit. If one goes bad you have to replace both. But on the 88-95 TBI trucks, that is a very good point. The lines coming out of the tank are often pretty brittle, and won't take much force to twist off or brake a line.

In my experience (keep in mind I live deep in the heart of rust country) I have never even tried to undo those connections. I just cut off the rubber lines with a knife, then cut off the metal line to remove the fitting with a hacksaw, and reinstall the rubber line with a hose clamp.

Might not be the best way to do it, but I've done that on 6 or 7 sending units with no problems.

I wonder if the '98 one-piece design could be swapped out for an earlier type? If the wiring is the same I don't see why not. It's not like the '98s required a different fuel pressure, at least not to my knowledge. Unless of course the tank is different....

I might have to look at my friend's '98. I think this merits further investigation.

LT1/TA

Reaction score
I would remove the bed if you have someone to help pick it up.
You can also separate the housing on the 98 up and replace just the pump and it would be much cheaper.