98 ext cab power windows both quit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the power windows randomly both stopped working the other day. Worked just fine the day before. When I press the buttons they click but the motors don't engage.

Did some looking and the "circuit breaker" in the driver side dash fuse box is getting hot and splitting the circuit. What causes and what do I need to fix or replace?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First place I would look for window electrical trouble is the wires going into the drivers door. Pull the boot back from both ends and make sure no wires are broken or shorting out.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring looks fine passenger window will operate for a second barely when I first turn the key using the passenger side button. Driver side completely dead. Anyone have any ideas?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have power windows in my truck but most vehicles the power for all the windows comes from the drivers door as you have the lockout feature. If you can get a spare drivers door switch to test with try that, I took A drivers switch apart on a customers truck last year cleaned the contacts and reassembled. They work fine after that. I don't recall if it was both windows or just drivers that had the original problem.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you are right and it's the switch. I just took them out and put LED's in a few weeks ago and they were pretty dirty and I wonder if I I rattled some dirt in there somewhere. I'll take them apart and clean them and see if that works.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the driver switch out haven't had time to clean it yet. If the driver switch is out would that keep the passenger side from working?

I could get the passenger side to work the first couple of seconds the switch was turned before the circuit breaker overheats but with the driver side switch out it doesn't work at all.