98 computer replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need a new ecm can I use a ecm from a 99 tahoe or do I need a ecm for the same exact year? Of not where have you guys purchased your ecm?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps, but comparing the part numbers on RockAuto for Delco for a 1998 C1500 vs a Tahoe (both with 350), the numbers are the same. I'm sure there is some reprogramming involved.

Maybe someone else could confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the shop that I had them take a look at the truck my original issue was the a.c. compressor was non stop running an pin 1 dark green wire wasn't getting any voltage. The owner of the shop is parting out a 99 tahoe an was going to try to swap ecm out to see if that works

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can try for fun, but you'll have VATS issues if you don't have someone flash it. 98-00 all used the later computer. 2wd and 4wd matters as does factory tire size and gears between the 2.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure I mentioned this in your other thread... But like others have said you're going to need a tune unless the PCM you swap in came from a pretty much identical truck. Even with a tune, if your truck is pre-'98 you're still going to need a PCM from a pre-'98 truck because of the PassLock issues. Even though yours is a '98 and the Tahoe is a '99, you'll probably still need a tune to overcome the anti-theft problems.

That's why I suggested buying a performance tune from someone like Black Bear Performance and paying the core charge for a spare PCM from them. Your only other options that I can think of would be to swap in a PCM from an identical truck (engine, trans, gearing, year, etc.) and pray it works, or buy a used one and have a dealer flash a stock tune for your truck to it based on the VIN. Never done the latter, but I'd imagine the amount of money involved would be similar to buying a performance tune. At that point, I'd just buy a tune from Black Bear and enjoy the additional benefits.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had one put in my 1998 Chevy C1500 2wd ext cab auto with 350. Part number 9366810. I bought it at gmpartsdirect.com, and they charged $223.57 plus $200 for the core on top of the part. Cost me $150 to get it installed and programmed.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure I mentioned this in your other thread... But like others have said you're going to need a tune unless the PCM you swap in came from a pretty much identical truck. Even with a tune, if your truck is pre-'98 you're still going to need a PCM from a pre-'98 truck because of the PassLock issues. Even though yours is a '98 and the Tahoe is a '99, you'll probably still need a tune to overcome the anti-theft problems.

That's why I suggested buying a performance tune from someone like Black Bear Performance and paying the core charge for a spare PCM from them. Your only other options that I can think of would be to swap in a PCM from an identical truck (engine, trans, gearing, year, etc.) and pray it works, or buy a used one and have a dealer flash a stock tune for your truck to it based on the VIN. Never done the latter, but I'd imagine the amount of money involved would be similar to buying a performance tune. At that point, I'd just buy a tune from Black Bear and enjoy the additional benefits.

I tried contacting black bear performance to try to get a little bit more information as well as pricing but haven't received an email it's been a few days.