98 5.7 vortec crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabbath93

Reaction score
leaving work this morning I started my truck and it did not run very well seemed like a misfire I revved the truck up a bit and it just died down and shut off then it would not start

The cap and rotor have been replaced

the truck is sending lots of fuel to the plugs wet as hell when i pulled some out

spark was good but seemed like it may be weak one of the wires didnt have spark when we checked it
(and then it did)

truck cranks really well and sputters like it is going to fire up every once in awhile

so obviously I know about the fuel pressure needing to be high 60psi or whatever the number is

but I am wondering what might be causing a no start situation and if its spark related the cap rotor and coil Im guessing could be the issue (can a coil fail Intermitently)also rotor turns I took off that cap and looked and made sure

or can it be an issue with the PCM needing a reset after stalling out and how would I go about that

Also could it be a MAFS issue

I am totally lost on this thing the temperature Kind of got low about -4C and it was a pretty damp night
any input or thoughts on the issue would be helpful

thanks guys

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cap and rotor are super common on a vortec. I'm even more suspicious of the cap with an intermittent spark. Try pulling the coil wire and crank the ignition. See if the pulses are rhythmic. If they are the the only answer is crossfiring in the cap.

sabbath93

Reaction score
Cap and rotor are super common on a vortec. I'm even more suspicious of the cap with an intermittent spark. Try pulling the coil wire and crank the ignition. See if the pulses are rhythmic. If they are the the only answer is crossfiring in the cap.
it ended up being a cap despite being new on a damp night it rusted and was obviously just a cheap part

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spray your cap and wires with wd40. Not into the holes or on a bare terminal. After it has run and checked good, completely spray the cap, plug/coil wires (all the way to the coil and plugs). Had issue on a 69 350 and this kept the damp from affecting it.