98 5.7 K1500 Cranks But Won't Start. Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel pump went on my 88, pretty sure i posted about it and got some great descriptive replys with pictures and everything on how to test the relay and pump! (Should be able to see the post from my profile) I used a piece of speaker wire and spliced 2 male spade connectors to jump from the battery(power source for relay) to the fuel pump(2/5 terminals in the relay, forget which ones now) Essentially just hardwires the pump to the battery (fairly easy to do) then after knowing i had power to the relay i pulled the jumper out plugged the relay back in and used a test light (poked into the wire with 1 end then grounded the other end) to see if i had power between the pump and relay with key in acc position and the test light flashed up so i had power to the pump. After that i did the same test but reversed polarity to check for ground, once again light flashed on so it was deffinatly the fuel pump

NoahNeedsHelp

Reaction score
She Runs!

I put in the new pump, which apparently had been replaced once before. I unfolded that fuel line and I'm getting the fuel pressure specified in the manual.

I went ahead and cut a rectangle access panel in the bed of the truck. Took 10 minutes to get accurate measurements, 10 minutes to cut out, 20 minutes to swap the pump, and 10 minutes to transfer the new wiring. Still need to button up the panel to make it somewhat water proof and functional. I'm going to get a thick rubber stall mat for the bed of the truck so won't even see the panel.

Its been 2 weeks since break down because of my schedule but once I figured the pump needed to be changed, it took about an hour of actual work to fix it (diagnostics took forever, especially electrical components). Honestly I got to the point where I was hoping it was the pump because that was easier for me than electrical issues.

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING A BROTHER OUT!!!