97 to 89 K1500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pshojo

Reaction score
i have 89 k1500 that has blown motor and recently wrecked 1997 k2500.

Anyone know what it would take to swap out engine/ecm to run in the 1989? Any help would be appreciated.

I did some research, looks transmission is interchangeable. But haven't found any other information as to what else would be required or someone who's done this

Last edited:
Reaction score
You will need to swap all the trucks computer wiring and easiesr will be stand alone harness . Or a 411 comp with 97 wiring.
TRansmissions may be same length but apples and oranges Need to know exactly what trans .
JUst did a 92 1500 cab on 94 k2500 frame had swap all interor wiring and under hood to the 94 worked good until someone shifted while rolling in other dirextion wiping a 4l80

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The k2500 is going to be a roller cam, crank sensor and multiple oxygen sensors.

The 89 is a flat tappet 1 oxygen sensor bare basic truck.

What I did with my 94 is I used the vortec heads and had a bottom end built with a little bit larger cam that kinda plays friendly with the computer after getting it tuned (custom chip burned). Naturally I had to buy the overpriced GM vortec/ tbi intake. I'm pleased with my build.