97 steering gear box??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a stock 97 GMC and i was wondering if I could put a 454SS gear box in it for a quicker ratio? I figured it would blot right up?? Is the pitman, idler, drag link, all that the same? Thanks in advance!!

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, But good luck finding one.

well I'm glad it will. I thought they might be hard to find. I wonder if the sport has the same one?? I might be better off just ordering a close ratio one from somewhere.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well I'm glad it will. I thought they might be hard to find. I wonder if the sport has the same one?? I might be better off just ordering a close ratio one from somewhere.

Not sure if the sport got it or not, but i know the 454SS ones are damn hard to find, you would be better off ordering a new one.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The sport model does use a quicker ratio, I have one on my 95, I paid $165 from Advance auto parts, but that was 2 years ago, so I'm sure it has gone up in price some. Just get a steering gear for a 91 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd with the sport package, they had to order it in, but it only took like 2 day's.

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sport model does use a quicker ratio, I have one on my 95, I paid $165 from Advance auto parts, but that was 2 years ago, so I'm sure it has gone up in price some. Just get a steering gear for a 91 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd with the sport package, they had to order it in, but it only took like 2 day's.

I wasn't sure on the sport so thanks! That doesn't seem too bad of a price either.