97 steering column rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a parts list; the ignition switch is starting to not engage the starter more and more often; beating on the column or shaking the shifter so far gets it to work. I assume this is the switch assembly going bad, or should I be looking at the something to do with the neutral safety? Is there an adjustment in the shift linkage? Everything else always comes on, it just won't start.

The wiper control is also going out, they get stuck in a single speed or stuck on after you turn them off; again a smack to the column generally clears them up, also the hazard lights won't lock on and I see that is part of the same assembly.

What else should I do while the column is out and tire down? What else should I investigate with the start issue? I know 97 is a single year for the starter switch, is it normal for there not to be an accessories position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk