97 Silverado 4x4 front diff. issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado1515

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the forum but by reading all of the recent posts it looks like the best place to get some advice for my 97 Silverado 4x4

I have put a used front differential (which came out of my 98 Silverado parts truck) in my 97 Silverado. The 98 has a 5 socket plug with 4 wires going into it using 4 spots the 5th is not being used. There is a
Grey white wire,
Black wire,
Black white wire and a
Brown wire
My 97 (the one I want to fix)
Has 2 2wire plugs one has a
Lt blue wire and a black wire
The other has a Lt blue wire and a black white wire.
How do I hook up the front actuator from the 98 into the 97 truck without taking off the half shaft from the 97 and putting it on the 98 diff.?

I have tried connecting the two blue wires to the grey white wire
The black to the black
The black white to the blk/ wht
And the brown to a 25a fuse at the battery ( temporarily I didn't want to splice in to the 25a brown wire at the t-case without testing)
Does anybody have any more concrete schematics for these trucks I have seen hundreds and because of the amount of mislabeled ones I am unsure now where to go

The T-case is engaging but the front diff will not

The 4x4 worked great in the 98

I want to thank everyone who took the time to even read this and hope to heck someone is able to give me a hand on this!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
How about replacing the un-reliable electronic diff actuator with a mechanical cable or full-time engagement?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I believe your difference is the actuator. The 98 would have an electronic actuator and probably Auto 4WD option on the switch. The 97 I believe is a thermal actuator and should only have 2HI, 4HI and 4LO options on the switch.