97 RCLB checking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got a few more little things done.

Picked up new GMC badge for less than $5 at a junkyard. Better than the one the PO rattle-canned flat black without masking anything.
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed a set of Infinity component speakers. After spending hours researching the best place to put tweeters, with opinions divided equally between every possible option, I went the easy route and mounted them cross-firing above the door handles. This mainly saved me having to run wiring back into the cab.

While I was in there, I decided to try and fix my broken driver door lock. After pulling out the window regulator, I found the cylinder in the bottom of the door. It looks like someone installed a new exterior door handle and didn't push the cylinder in hard enough to clip in place. I used a hammer to tap it in gently until it clipped in.

The retaining clip for the rod was gone too, but I was able to use a screw clip from the speaker kit. This was a frustrating job in a tight space - can't see it and get your hand in there at the same time - but well worth it for the end result of having a fully functional lock.

I also sprayed the wiper arms black. Makes any beater look a little nicer when you don't see the chipping paint.

A while back I went away for a week and came back to an intermittent clutch issue. Sometimes, but not always, I had no clutch and just a light pedal that did nothing. Had someone look at it and he got it working again after just pumping it a lot. He says maybe bad master cylinder. I really hope it isn't the internal slave! It's weird but the clutch seems fine ever since then - almost as if driving every day keeps it happy.

Got some new pinstripes too... haha

Reaction score
Thanks John!

Next question for you all, especially those who have owned more than one GMT400

I've taken a liking to the looks of the older style, chrome mirrors like the ones on this Chevy.

I'm thinking of hunting down a pair, but only if I can match or improve on the functionality of my stock mirrors. Given that I already have manual mirrors and my driver side is shaky, are the older mirrors going to be better or worse?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your mirrors on your GMC arn't power mirrors? The chrome ones are not. That being said, if you want a set of chrome manual mirrors, then LMC is your best bet most likely. A set of old used mirrors may have issues due to the age.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I know a few guys who have those chrome mirrors on their 400s; they hate em. They all say they want to upgrade to the black mirrors.

Maybe a brand new set from LMC wouldn't shake as bad as a used set; or if you want a solid set for towing, there is a company that makes that style of chrome mirror that extends out. I think the company is CIPA or something.

Reaction score
Okay, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'll probably pass then and just look for a black d/s unit in better condition. Tow mirrors probably overkill for the once a month I tow my boss's flatbed.

@Kenny that's right, they're not power mirrors, they just use the same shell. Not too many luxuries on this truck... AC and a tachometer (not sure if the base W/Ts have one?)

Reaction score
A while back I installed an LMC HD headlight harness. Got my clutch MC replaced by a mechanic, and he observed that this new wiring needs to be fused. So that's something for me to do, and others to take note of: the kit does not come with a fuse or provision for one.

Being the peak of summer, I still haven't managed to drive the truck in full darkness yet. The headlights do seem a bit brighter but it's hard to tell how much.

mistaake

Reaction score
One of the best things I did when I had my 92 was to go from the goofy metal mirrors to the newer style plastic ones. Don't use the junky aftermarket ones from the parts store, the mirror surface was plastic or something, it wasn't quite right, but still better visibility and it looked better cosmetically.