97 Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The problem with old gas in itself(not including grime and other **** that's built-up), is the ability to detonate, it's volatile properties degrade over time. I agree with Chris, mixxing some high octane with it will help, the biggest help you could give it is mixing a ton of alcohol in with it, but alchy can erode rubber in your fuel system, so the best/safest route would be to drain, clean, and refill.

But to answer your question about getting it home, throw about 3 bottles of "HEET" into the tank and rock the cab back and forth to help it mix. I personally would never pay $2k for a 2wd in the condition you're stating it's in. My 95 ECSB was an almost flawless DD with 189k on the clock and it cost me $1400....but I'm sure the economy has had a different effect on different regions.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hearing more about it, $800 is probably all I'd pay, anything else and I'd walk away. Since your dropping in a new engine, thinking the trans is bad your really just paying for a roller truck and a potential to have a ton of problems knowing he wont let you drive it.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly the trucks can be had for little right now. It may be different in Canada but down here in the south we can pick up daily driver 88-98 2wd trucks for less than a grand all day long. A friend just bought one that I put a trans it for $300. It had a nice body and a carbed 305 with decent interior. I rebuilt the 700R and he now has a total of 500 bucks in it(I didn't charge him labor). There is a nice 92 2500 2wd reg cab for sale that needs a new TH400 close to me. He is asking 900. I emailed and he said he would take 600, but I'd bet you could get it for 500. An this is the factory 6 lug 2wd 1500 too. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2689382504.html

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya it must be differnet than up here. Ones that are basically falling apart and need tons of work are listed for $1000-$1500. One in good mechanical shape up here's $2-2500 and thats most likely with the typical GM rust.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well with him fighting you I'd say look $500 bottom line as is, tow it or drag it out, and if he takes it, fire it up and try to drive it.

if not then tell him you'll pass, or make him let you drive it, running it for a few seconds is gonna do as much damage as driving it, and if the idiot thinks not then he knows nothing. He doesn't know much as is, but just saying guys dumb if he thinks running it for a few is fine, but awhile is harmful.

wintimidator

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
might just want to walk away if he's desperate to sell it which he probably is because people won't buy it before driving it he might give in and let you drive it

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds a little sketchy to me -like everyone else has already said. I have never bought a vehicle that I could not drive around to try it out. If he won't let you drive it then I would almost put money on he knows something is up.... not sure where you are located but if its been sitting for 4years, never moved, I would think possible rust problems with the frame ?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as seeing that your putting a new engine, tranny, driveshaft and im guessing new supension parts, it really wont matter, as long as its in good shape, id offer the guy 600 max, if he takes it then good, if not, hes an idiot

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
After talking to the owner of the truck, I decided to pass on it. He's too pissed off because of all my questions about the truck. I must have called him 5-6 times. He seems really burned and pissed. Ah well, will keep looking. By the way California trucks are about $4000. Thats the 88-98's. I'll find one, just got to wait and keep my eyes open.