97 Chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Hello everybody. There's a truck I'm interested in buying. Its a 97 RCSB. The owner says he won't let be test drive it, only start it up, and thats all. The reason he won't let me drive it, is that its been sitting for 4 years and he's worried about damaging the engine. To me, it doesn't make sense, what is the fuel filter for..duh?
He thinks the fuel is too old and it might damage the engine. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying it and the question is: is there something that I can put in the tank to better the fuel inside so I can drive it home? It might be a great deal. Any suggestions? :deal:

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So he wont let you drive it but he will start it up? but if the fuel is too old that makes no since at all, the engine is still running so the fuel is still going thought and getting used. So what would be the difference?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
No way in hell I would buy something before I drove it, ESPECIALLY if the owner is telling me that.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I would bet the 4L60 is fouled. It is common, especially if they towed with it. He probably knows it and that is why he won't let you drive it. Otherwise why has it been sitting for that long?

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on the trans being ****** or could be the rear end. Either way if you cant drive it give him a price thinking the trans is shot if your willing to have it have it rebuilt or have another one put in.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
He also mentioned that he will let me crank it over and run it for a few seconds. He seems real paranoid about the fuel being too old. One other thing, if I use my handheld scanner to check for codes, would that be a good idea of the condition of the truck? One other thing I forgot to mention, it has a couple of flats, that might be the other reason he won't let me drive it.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
old fuel is gonna mess it up cranking, running, driving whatever.

TRUST me this guys knows something is wrong with it.

wanna know why? my brother in law has a $3750 lawn ornament right now because of the same thing. Guy had a 97 FORD that sat for a while, let em start it up, had a bad miss, said it was from bad gas, said they can drive it in his small yard, only.

Now after 4 grand or so later it's still tore up, had a bad burnt valve, fixed it, still runs horrible.

Be warned he knows something. tires can be aired up easy.

I would like to know the price, reason is to give you an example of what you should say with the way he's doing. If the guy wants $2000 tell him without driving it you'd do like $1000 only. Then say if you air the tires up and put in fresh gas if he'd let you drive it. Also explain to him that cranking, running, all of it is gonna mess up crap if its the fuel.

You really need to drive it until it's completely warmed up and make sure the trans aint slipping, shifts into all gears and doesn't act up once warmed up. If you aint worried about changing or fixing things jump on it, but get it for cheap. If you can't fix it then it's only worth what you can get for the parts, or scrap which is about 300-400 for a complete truck.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
From what you've described...........I'd be very scared of it. Like Swims said, if you can work on it yourself and have the time and $$ to put into it, maybe ok then. You didn't say if it was 4WD or 2WD or how many miles on it, that'd be good to know too.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
I guess Swims can read minds. The owner is asking $2000. I'll try the $1000 deal. Its a 2 wheel drive. The owner wants to get rid of it so maybe I'll get a good deal. I'm planning on putting in an LM7, so I don't care about the engine. If I can drive it home I'd be happy. I offered to fill up the tires and wanted to drive it, but he still doesn't want the engine running for more than a few seconds. If the gas is bad, is there anything I could drop in the fuel, just to get it home? I live about 45 miles away and have to drive the freeway.