97 burb 1tons swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Figured I make a thread on my build. It's a 97 1500 burb. Found in Craigslist with a new motor and dick cepek 6.5 and every bushing in the front end being brand new! First thing was first and that was adding protection. Front, rear, flares, steps, bought and rockers plus everything else got sprayed!

Next was was pulling the rear blocks out to get ready for future lift. Off Road Design was contacted and I used there shackle flip and hanger drop. This also fixed the cali lean.

Found a totaled 99 burb with a 454 and yanked the 14BFF out of it along with the drive shaft and leaf springs, spent more with Off Road Design on rebuilding the axle than I did buying it. I fell short on a master rebuild as a gear swap will come after the front axles is sourced and thrown in. But all races and bearing that are not in the diff will be new. At the time I also got a U-bolt flip kit and will take both leaf packs and Frankenstein them together to make room for 37s. At this point I'm waiting on parts to arrive

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Going with 16.5 and military 37s. Yeah they are heavy but I'll be doing a disk break conversion on the 14. Once the front axle is slourced and built I plan on 12 inches of lift and 40-42s.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Got a little more work done today. Got the shafts out both long and short look good, got to the bearings (did these come with timkens?) got the cover off fluid was still in good condition and the gears look good as well. Parts come in tomorrow to replace everything outside off the diff. It was stupid hot (Texas) so I covered up the shaft openings and tossed a few bolts on the diff cover and stopped.

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Ordered a new diff cover as well. Little overkill but what the hell. People will be able to see it when I'm driving anyway

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Diff cover came in and that's all I needed. This bad boy is BEEFY!!! Almost as wide as my thumb. I will be gasket maxing the diff and possibly this cover, I've been tossing the idea of a shave around but won't know if it's needed till later on. So a grinder and time will work for now. I allocated Monday and Tuesday to swap all this parts and get it into BIGBLACK. Will update with photos again then.

Jllanes41

Reaction score
Got a little break from all he rain Harvey brought, got the shocks and leafs off....that turned into a whole ordeal. People, I don't care if you by from some poh-dunk backwoods hillbilly or brand new, ALWAYS disassemble. The guy with the totaled burban swore up and down the rear axle was mint, and I took it hook line and sinker. I know it's not terrible, but I still gets on my nerves to see this. Either way, please, always check everything over before you just bolt in anything. Luckily I have a flip already here and was going to use anyway. Waiting word from a friend who is a welder and an off-roader on his opinion as if we should weld in filler or if it is runnable as is. If y'all would chime in any info would be appreciated...again this is my first go around and as you can see already, I don't want to cut any corners. I can take any further images as needed if y'all need another angle to reply. The last two shots are the front side of the axle pass and driver.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Damn dude! I have never seen u bolts that bad. Good thing you caught that before anything happened!!

And that rear diff cover is beefy, I like it!