96 Z71 push button won't lock in to 4wd PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
One more thing, how do you know it's not in 4wd? It's not entirely unusual for there to be a 'bang' or 'click/slam' when the 4x4 kicks in. You say the 4x4 switch flashes, does it keep flashing and go back to 2wd, or does the 4hi light up and stay lit?

BigSexy96

Reaction score
And it's different every time that's why it has me so confused...and I know its not locked in cuz it never gets me out when "m stuck...and besides that there's no change in the feel of the steering like there should be when its locked in

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Try it in 4lo in loose dirt and see if it engages. Give it a little spin and see of your front wheel digs. Only one will spin if it is locked. It will spin very easy in 4lo so sneak up on it with light stabs at the throttle.

If it does spin a front tire, your actuator is not the problem.

If your front does not spin, then you need to get a little deeper. Your actuator could be the problem, but the banging might be the rotary encoder or actuator not working correctly. I can't remember the manual off the top of my head, but I doubt the shifting logic will engage the front axle if the transfer case is not shifting.

A little "graunch" or clash when engaging Isn't abnormal.

Banging, crunching or grinding and failure to engage is a more serious problem.

Shift forks and actuators on push button transfer cases are likely culprits and gets expensive fast.

Test it out in 4lo before spending any cash and see what you get.

Make sure you are somewhere you can at least get home from in 4lo when you try it. If it goes in and won't disengage you're up the creek. At home in a gravel driveway would be best.

Cheers

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'll pull out the manuals tomorrow and get the error codes and testing for the module.

Theres been lots of pushbutton 4x4 questions lately so i guess it's time to gather it all up in one post about testing, re-soldering fixes and other general pushbutton 4x4 stuff...

BigSexy96

Reaction score
Prolly not a bad idea. Just wish i woulda waited and found a truck with a t-case shifter :/