96 wont start after big tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Covin

Reaction score
I tore my 5.7 down to the heads and redid everything up from there, including acdelco mfi spider upgrade. I cant get it to start now. I've put it at tdc and re-dropped my distributer twice now, making sure all timing marks lined up. It just cranks. If I give it open throttle, it'll sortve try to fire. I spent too much time moving the distributor fractions of an inch either way and cranking it without any luck. Now I'm out of ideas. I even tore the upper plenum back off just to make sure I put the injectors in the right holes. I also replaced the fuel and air filters, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil and filter, new oil cooler lines, and new timing cover. I've checked all the wires, plug wires, vacuum lines, cam and crank sensor plugs.. I know all about the cam sensor offset but I have to get it to start first! Just wondering if there's something stupid I forgot to do. I reset the PCM also..
You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your coolant temp sensor for the computer. If it's reading (-) anything when the temp obviously ain't, it will mot start at all... had one I was working on at the shop do that. Was reading -40.....lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will it start with starting fluid?

Does the fuel pump come on? Have you done a pressure test?

Do you have spark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Covin

Reaction score
I think it has to be a fuel issue rather than timing. The pump does come on, I havent done a pressure test with key on eng off yet...not sure it'll tell me much. I changed the filter as recommended for the mfi upgrade. Has anyone installed the mpfi spider and had any issues? Is there a chance my cam or crank sensor crapped out on me? Truck fired right up before I tore it apart which had me assume I messed up the timing, but I've checked that distributor like 10 times now.

Dave Covin

Reaction score
Check your coolant temp sensor for the computer. If it's reading (-) anything when the temp obviously ain't, it will mot start at all... had one I was working on at the shop do that. Was reading -40.....lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ill check that tomorrow thank you.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to double check, here is the distributor install procedure. You sure you were at TDC on compression...that you aren't 180-degrees off?

Dave Covin

Reaction score
Yep I made for damn sure. I put it on tdc one more time and popped the cap off before the sun went down today and the rotor was pointing right at the mark. I installed the distributor initially with the valve covers off, so when I put it on tdc that time I made sure it was on the compression stroke by watching the rockers for #1.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
Did you attach the ground to the back of the passenger side head? Wheres the rotor pointing towards? Did you plug in the distributor?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Have you got fire? Do you have pressure at the fuel rail if you push the shrader valve in?

Dave Covin

Reaction score
DO NOT BUY ENGINETECH TC350 TIMING COVER FROM ROCKAUTO. The problem was the timing cover I put on it which was listed as an OEM quality replacement. The hole for the crankshaft position sensor is too deep, which keeps the sensor from getting close enough to the relucter wheel. This made my PCM command 50 degrees timing advance. I pulled out my distributer and almost all my hair trying to figure that out.