96 to 98 wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i need some help with the wiring.. i know i have to keep the stock 96 PCM to run my ABS.. can i just pull all the wires that has nothing to do with the ABS out so i dont have all these wires going to nothing? what wires other then the oil, water, speedo do i need to keep? also i read that i have to buy a tech interface. This is needed because the GEN III computer outputs 1/2 of the old V8 signal. is this true?

i have a stand alone harness to run the motor....

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is it exactally that you are trying to do? are you trying to swap to a 98 pcm? what motor are you running with it?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im doing a LS in my truck.. i have a stand alone harness for the motor but this being a 96 my old PCM controls my ABS.. the PCM i have for the LS motor is a 411 out of a burb 2002 i think cuz im doing DBC..

this is a BUILT 5.3 going in place of a vortec V6... backed by a 5speed

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need the '96 computer at all. just do a full swap over to the 411 and you'll be good. I have a 411 in my '96 and it controls everything properly.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
im doing a LS in my truck...

this is a BUILT 5.3 going in place of a vortec V6... backed by a 5speed

Sooo jealous!!! Corner carvin' canyon blaster!!! When I (finally) get around to doing this, you`ll be hearin` the (YEEHAW!!) cowboy cheer all the way to Channelview!

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooo jealous!!! Corner carvin' canyon blaster!!! When I (finally) get around to doing this, you`ll be hearin` the (YEEHAW!!) cowboy cheer all the way to Channelview!

thats funny lol... i cant wait to get it done. when you need some info on parts to do your build just let me know.. we have some of the best LS motor guys in houston that really know there stuff.. i will say this, go with a newer motor like a 04 to a 06 parts are easier to find.. just get a intake off a 00 to 02 6.0 or 5.3.. they have a return fuel line so you dont have to buy the vett $$ filter..