96 Tahoe vibrating at speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys- changed the leaf spring bushings and shocks all around- at above 75 mph, daughter says truck shakes. New BFG radials. Can this be a u-joint issue or maybe driveshaft since I had to lower the axle when removing rear leads? She says it seems like the rear end is tha shaking.. the u-bolts on the axle are tightened down correctly- I replaced those too while at it..

How to determine actual problem?

Thanks!!

SierraDully

Reaction score
Are you 100% sure you didn't lose a balancing weight from one of the wheels? Or could you have a bad tire? Even brand new tires are sometimes bad from the factory. Easy to rule that cheap stuff out first before you start throwing parts at it.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree- called a shop and they said same thing- going by this weekend to check- thanks and I’ll come back w results!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Theres been alot of issues with BFGs lately, many horror stories of them shredding for sometimes no reason, othertimes speed and vehicle weight have a part to play, i dont know whats happened to them as of late.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I've had tires with a shifted tread that acted like that. Didn't seem to show up until you were doing around 60 or 70

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Balance issues usually shows up lower down around 45 or so and goes away with speed at about 58 or so in my experience. Also think about your motor and trans mounts they may have decided to wimp out on you. May not be but those can add to it.

NorthernTahoe

Reaction score
My Tahoe had rapid shaking that started between 50 and 55mph. Seemed to get worse the faster I drove. I don't think I ever drove faster than 65.

I noticed one of the rear u-joint strap bolts was backed off from its thread. Apparently had been so for a while. I tightened it up, which helped just for a couple of miles but then the shaking got worse and worse.

Seems it got cured by replacing the U-joints. Haven't had a chance to try faster than 60 yet, though. I live at the countryside and it's been slippery, and I'm not willing to take my Tahoe to salted roads :)