96 Silverado ECSB "Big Red"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aberry

Reaction score
Hello!

First post! I recently picked my wife and kids up and moved out into the country to try to live a little bit closer to the land and came to the realization that my Dodge Journey just wasn't going to cut it as a farm vehicle in any capacity. Conveniently, I found out that the actual truck I learned to drive in came up for sale so I couldn't help myself and I bought it.

Big Red (as I named it at 9) is a 96 extended cab short bed Silverado in red on red with the 5.7. She's got 262,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and I've personally driven it from the Great Lakes to Mexico and from San Diego to D.C. and a couple trips to Florida. My sister literally drove it off a cliff and down into a ravine in WV when she fell asleep driving, then drove it back up and continued the trip with nothing but a dead bat in the grill to show for it. This old truck is a TANK!

I'm a rocket mechanic by trade and have 27 cars worth of wrenching experience to apply. Big Red isn't too terribly beaten up, just has the usual issues like dead A/C, broken door handles, and stuck window regulator along with normal wear and tear and tired paint.

So far I've rigged the door to open with 550 cord until the new handles come in, fixed the seat belt buckle that had a bead jammed into it, and replaced the sheared bolt in the seat back. The next couple free projects are troubleshooting the window regulator to see if it's the switch or the regulator and taking the slack (or bolting it solid) out of the ez pass seat rail